• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

THE PLATE CARRIER / CHEST RIG THREAD

Yeah man a healthy serving of coke and meth. Then to bring us down they would have kyrgyzstan hookers and beer waiting for us back at the FOB.

Serious answer, for me and my unit, running a pretty ****ty schedule we were issued beef jerky, ripits, and 800 mg ibuprofen. That was it. I wasn’t SF though. I don’t know what special units do. On all three of my deployments they did give us sleeping pills on the plane rides to and from theater.
You guys got sleeping pills?!

They gave us rip it’s, beef jerky, 800 mg ibuprofen and people would lie cheat and steal for honey buns.

I’m looking into a light weight carrier set up. I don’t need 12 mags and patches hanging off the front. Just mainly looking for something light weight, easy on and off, comfortable to transport, and mobility while shouldering a rifle.

I keep going back to the LA Police Gear Low Vis plate carrier for $80 and some China ceramic lvl 3 or 4 shooters cut plates. All in under $400

Does anyone have any experience running a light weight set up like I am describing?

I’m looking into a light weight carrier set up. I don’t need 12 mags and patches hanging off the front. Just mainly looking for something light weight, easy on and off, comfortable to transport, and mobility while shouldering a rifle.

I keep going back to the LA Police Gear Low Vis plate carrier for $80 and some China ceramic lvl 3 or 4 shooters cut plates. All in under $400

Does anyone have any experience running a light weight set up like I am describing?

Crye JPC 2.0 stupid light and low profile.

You guys got sleeping pills?!

They gave us rip it’s, beef jerky, 800 mg ibuprofen and people would lie cheat and steal for honey buns.

Yeah don’t remember what kind. They worked though. The PA also gave them some after long patrols when we got back to the fob. I didn’t take any bc I didn’t want to become dependent on them.

Crye JPC, ferro slickster, and spiritus 119 will all work for that. They’re all low profile and scalable so you can just not add anything to them and you’re good to go. I’d pass on the Chinese armor. You can buy a set of hesco l210s for like $340 new.

With plates you have quality, light weight, and cheap… and you can only pick 2

So been doing alot of research but others encounters help. Im a firefighter/paramedic who works in a busy metro dept and im a 1hr drive from home with 2 large urban cities to get through to my county home. Im looking for low profile like i can where a top shirt over it and not look tactical upon first glance. Looking to carry my IFAK and few mags with sidearm on hips. So what is out there thats extremely low profile. Also i know steel is heavy but works and poly is showing promise due to weight being cut down so much. Options? Opinion? Suggestions?

So been doing alot of research but others encounters help. Im a firefighter/paramedic who works in a busy metro dept and im a 1hr drive from home with 2 large urban cities to get through to my county home. Im looking for low profile like i can where a top shirt over it and not look tactical upon first glance. Looking to carry my IFAK and few mags with sidearm on hips. So what is out there thats extremely low profile. Also i know steel is heavy but works and poly is showing promise due to weight being cut down so much. Options? Opinion? Suggestions?
Everything is a trade off. The above mentioned carriers should work well for rifle rated plates. If you want a really low profile armor at the expense of protection you can pursue a level IIIA option. It would only protect you against handgun rounds, but it would be able to be worn under a shirt without too much printing.

As far as plates, steel is not great. Ceramic and UHMWPE are better. With steel, you have spalling, weight, and also deflection (getting shot at an angle means the bullet might follow the path of your armor into another part of you) to worry about. Even with a lot of the anti spall coatings, they don’t work very well.

Everything is a trade off. The above mentioned carriers should work well for rifle rated plates. If you want a really low profile armor at the expense of protection you can pursue a level IIIA option. It would only protect you against handgun rounds, but it would be able to be worn under a shirt without too much printing.

As far as plates, steel is not great. Ceramic and UHMWPE are better. With steel, you have spalling, weight, and also deflection (getting shot at an angle means the bullet might follow the path of your armor into another part of you) to worry about. Even with a lot of the anti spall coatings, they don’t work very well.
Ah that is things that make 100 percent sense but not considered. I do want rifle rated plates so probably going with UHMWPE. Which is also nice considering i have to cross alot of swamps if im walking.

I'll have to get back to this thread as I just ordered a new carrier to upgrade from my more minimalist route. Went with the ats tactical aegis v3. When I get set up I'll be back. Moving from a grey ghost minimalist. Keeping it because it's actually great just wanted something with a cumberbund for more real estate.

Back
Top Bottom