• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

THE PLATE CARRIER / CHEST RIG THREAD

bumping this thread. I'm trying to build up my gear from the competition spectrum to more along the lines of what garand thumb was talking about...

currently a slickster with one RMA 3a+ plate. I tried heavier stuff but messed up my back 2 years ago. Since then I've dropped 45 pounds, where my original goal was to lose enough weight to make up for the gear I wanted to carry. So needless to say I'm there and then some.

Currently shopping for a new belt, second plate, and maybe a chest rig. not sure if I want to have that separate than the PC or in addition to it. I've never served nor have I been shot at, so hard to know what to get for a need I've not officially had.

leaning towards another of the RMA plates and a Esstac belt. Thoughts?

For belt stuff, check out this thread.

If you’ve got a back injury and are concerned about weight, having a modular PC setup where you can swap out placards, chest rigs, or run either of them without armor may be beneficial to you. You’ve already got the slickster which has that capability so you’re on the right track.

If I’m only using an M4/AR, I prefer a mag placard over a chest rig so I can get closer to the ground in prone, and I’m not fighting with a bunch of stuff hanging off my front. If I’m using a larger or smaller caliber (for me, a 308 bolt gun, or CZ scorpion) the chest rig (micro fight) gives me the option to use AICS or Scorpion mags with a quick Velcro insert switch.

For plates, I’m not super familiar with RMAs product line so they might have some very lightweight options, but DFNDR for sure offers a few lightweight plates that may also be beneficial to you. The 10x12 level 3 plate from them weighs just under 3 lbs a plate. They’re not cheap, but they are quality and light. Definitely a major upgrade from a IIIa+.

For belt stuff, check out this thread.

If you’ve got a back injury and are concerned about weight, having a modular PC setup where you can swap out placards, chest rigs, or run either of them without armor may be beneficial to you. You’ve already got the slickster which has that capability so you’re on the right track.

If I’m only using an M4/AR, I prefer a mag placard over a chest rig so I can get closer to the ground in prone, and I’m not fighting with a bunch of stuff hanging off my front. If I’m using a larger or smaller caliber (for me, a 308 bolt gun, or CZ scorpion) the chest rig (micro fight) gives me the option to use AICS or Scorpion mags with a quick Velcro insert switch.

For plates, I’m not super familiar with RMAs product line so they might have some very lightweight options, but DFNDR for sure offers a few lightweight plates that may also be beneficial to you. The 10x12 level 3 plate from them weighs just under 3 lbs a plate. They’re not cheap, but they are quality and light. Definitely a major upgrade from a IIIa+.
Burning Love Burning Love thanks I'll check that belt thread, too. I have been doing the PC/Chest Rig/Belt threads on ARF as well. Lots of options.

The plate I have is the RMA 1003. Doesn't stop the higher speed rifle rounds but standard 7.62x39, 308, M193, and all handgun rounds at 2.5 pounds and $250 shipped is pretty decent I think. I've not been shot at and don't really plan on going on raids but I never thought I'd be shopping for plates and thermal before either.

Can I just get this (https://ferroconcepts.com/products/turnover-magazine-pouch-triple-556?variant=29945404932) for the slickster and use it with m4 stuff? I don't run any longer calibers, just 300BO and 556 so standard mag sizes. I originally got the slickster partially because it had the cummerbund that holds mags, but in practice I realized I HATE mags in my armpits.
Interesting Could I use the slickster with no plates as a chest rig or is that dumb? If I'm in a position I need a rifle, it makes sense I have rifle rounds handy and some kind of protection in my head.

That ferro mag placard will work 100% on your plate carrier. I wouldn’t recommend wearing the slickster with no plates because it will sag from the weight of whatever else you hang on it. If you don’t want to use a chest rig ever, I’d try out the ferro placard. I don’t particularly like that it only attaches via Velcro, but for $24 you can buy it, go prone, skull drag, hang it on a counter top and do a squat, and any number of things to see if it holds up ok and doesn’t fly off your PC.

If you want to use the placard both on your slickster and stand-alone, OR if the Velcro attachment method doesn’t give you the warm and fuzzies, I’d check out the spiritus placard. You can use it on your PC or add buckles and a harness and use it by itself.

32CDABBE-B239-481B-8BA0-AF188260E95C.jpeg

With PC

4FBC2AE7-A293-431F-B19A-A3C8EADB984D.jpeg

Standalone

That ferro mag placard will work 100% on your plate carrier. I wouldn’t recommend wearing the slickster with no plates because it will sag from the weight of whatever else you hang on it. If you don’t want to use a chest rig ever, I’d try out the ferro placard. I don’t particularly like that it only attaches via Velcro, but for $24 you can buy it, go prone, skull drag, hang it on a counter top and do a squat, and any number of things to see if it holds up ok and doesn’t fly off your PC.

If you want to use the placard both on your slickster and stand-alone, OR if the Velcro attachment method doesn’t give you the warm and fuzzies, I’d check out the spiritus placard. You can use it on your PC or add buckles and a harness and use it by itself.

View attachment 4210613
With PC

View attachment 4210612

Standalone

Will that work on a crye JPC?

Probably gonna look like some poor boy kit compared to some of y'alls stuff, but here's my grab and go rig that works with my 870, my 1301, or my 590A1, (all my short shotguns are set up for Esstac cards) and the G26 that rides in my pocket or the G17 on my belt setup......it's compact, comfortable, easy to get on, not nearly as heavy as you'd think, and I think complements my firearm choices pretty well.
- HSGI AO small chest rig
- 3 tall Esstac kywi AR pouch with 12g loops
- Esstac kywi double pistol mag pouch
- 3 Esstac 6rd shotgun cards
- 2 G19x 19rd mags

Gives me 38 extra rds of 9mm, and 33 rds of 12ga.

20220421_184713.jpg20220421_184754.jpg

Probably gonna look like some poor boy kit compared to some of y'alls stuff, but here's my grab and go rig that works with my 870, my 1301, or my 590A1, (all my short shotguns are set up for Esstac cards) and the G26 that rides in my pocket or the G17 on my belt setup......it's compact, comfortable, easy to get on, not nearly as heavy as you'd think, and I think complements my firearm choices pretty well.
- HSGI AO small chest rig
- 3 tall Esstac kywi AR pouch with 12g loops
- Esstac kywi double pistol mag pouch
- 3 Esstac 6rd shotgun cards
- 2 G19x 19rd mags

Gives me 38 extra rds of 9mm, and 33 rds of 12ga.

View attachment 4211663View attachment 4211664
Nice, whatcha using it for?

Nice, whatcha using it for?
Larping naked in my house with the blinds down of course! Haha

Actually going to try and work it into the shotgun class CMShoot has in June, but unless the world turns sideways, it will probably just see a lot of time riding next to the 12g under the truck seat.

Larping naked in my house with the blinds down of course! Haha

Actually going to try and work it into the shotgun class CMShoot has in June, but unless the world turns sideways, it will probably just see a lot of time riding next to the 12g under the truck seat.
I’ll try to make it out to that class to show everyone how bad I am with a shotgun.

I’d consider snagging a CAT Tq and rubber banding it to one of those empty loops on the side of the chest rig. More TQs = more better. I can post a quick few pictures of how to rig it right in the AM if you’re interested.

Back
Top Bottom