• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

THE PLATE CARRIER / CHEST RIG THREAD

Burning Love

Default rank <5000 posts Supporter
tat-man
93   0
Reaction score
There have been other threads similar to this, but I’m making this with the intent of it becoming a long lasting thread people can reference. I’ve seen and talked to endless amounts of people who set up their gear based on another persons kit. This is to encourage everyone to set their gear up based on your own needs and comfort.

Please:
-Post pictures of your setup
-Ask questions
-Let people know why you set things up the way you have, or your theory behind the practical application of your gear.
-Do not outwardly flame people OR get defensive. Feel free to critique and help each other.

This is NOT the thread to post a picture of your gear and have everyone give you a thumbs up and move on. This is to open yourself up to questions, critiques, and theory behind using your equipment for its intended application.

Everyone has different needs and gear. Competition shooters, mil shooters, and armed citizens all have different needs but they can also influence and help each other.

This thread is intended to hopefully help you and others to get ideas, to trial and error, and to brainstorm how to set your gear up tailor made for YOU. It can also be a good place to find recommendations for any issues you run into or holes you would like to plug in your gear. I will most likely start more of these for other topics if people are interested, but this seemed like a good starting point.

POST AWAY

A6F8450E-24AD-457C-89E4-D205E5E2D01D.jpeg

Spiritus LV 119 carrier with hesco l210 and l110 special threat armor (also waiting on dfndr level 3++ plates).
HSGI med kit back right cummerbund.
Kagwerks fancy phone holder so I can look at cute dog videos and titties at the range.
Expander wing with extra mags right now. Waiting on a PTT that isn’t broken to hopefully replace with a radio so it sits snugly inside the cummerbund.
( FreedomUSMC FreedomUSMC this is what I’m hoping to do with my radio but I haven’t even set it up yet so we’ll see if it sucks)
Spiritus Sack with another med kit and TQ. I’ve been thinking about experimenting with their padded foam insert to see if I can ghetto rig another sack to hold a pvs 14 and night time ****. That’s a work in progress.
Triple M4 placard for carbine. I can also switch the placard with my micro fight to run PCC, SMG, etc.

Almost everything on the PC can swap to the micro fight.

Yesterday some guy in my parking lot was screaming for help. Dumped the mags out of my micro fight, slapped on the sack with med supplies to it, ditched the shoulder straps and slung it like a med bag. I was able to run down there and have gloves/med quickly. I prefer the placard on the PC but options are nice.

The majority of this stuff is only used for training (thankfully) so I don’t have a ton of admin or specialty equipment on them. Just bullets, armor, med, and fat boi snacks.

I’ve got a couple other setups for different uses I’ll post in the next week or so.

View attachment 4092329

Spiritus LV 119 carrier with hesco l210 and l110 special threat armor (also waiting on dfndr level 3++ plates).
HSGI med kit back right cummerbund.
Kagwerks fancy phone holder so I can look at cute dog videos and titties at the range.
Expander wing with extra mags right now. Waiting on a PTT that isn’t broken to hopefully replace with a radio so it sits snugly inside the cummerbund.
( FreedomUSMC FreedomUSMC this is what I’m hoping to do with my radio but I haven’t even set it up yet so we’ll see if it sucks)
Spiritus Sack with another med kit and TQ. I’ve been thinking about experimenting with their padded foam insert to see if I can ghetto rig another sack to hold a pvs 14 and night time ****. That’s a work in progress.
Triple M4 placard for carbine. I can also switch the placard with my micro fight to run PCC, SMG, etc.

Almost everything on the PC can swap to the micro fight.

Yesterday some guy in my parking lot was screaming for help. Dumped the mags out of my micro fight, slapped on the sack with med supplies to it, ditched the shoulder straps and slung it like a med bag. I was able to run down there and have gloves/med quickly. I prefer the placard on the PC but options are nice.

The majority of this stuff is only used for training (thankfully) so I don’t have a ton of admin or specialty equipment on them. Just bullets, armor, med, and fat boi snacks.

I’ve got a couple other setups for different uses I’ll post in the next week or so.

Operator 101:

You’re not a real operator unless you have snacks

- Crye JPC with side plates
- Blue force gear sustainment pouch (small
pouch up by my name tape)
- Blue force gear radio pouch
- Army issued JFAC
- Krydex Flat Pack in Multicam with camel back
- 2 x HSG mag pouches, plus the 3 in the crye JPC
- Demo Gerber

I use this during ranges in the reserves, so I don’t have a belt. If I carry a pistol it just goes on my riggers belt with a small utility knife. I don’t know if I’m allowed to mob / deploy with it. It fits army issued plates fine. Guys in the 82nd and SF were issued them during GRF since you can jump in them.

My idea is to carry just the bare necessities, while also being within army standards.

My sustainment pouch up front is for maps, pens, papers, reporting formats. I just fold them up small or use a small write in the rain notebooks with reports already inside. Then I have them compartmentalized in there.

Radio pouch is up front or on the side for easy access.

JFAC on the back right (you don’t need easy access, it’s meant for your teammates to have access to use on you) and then tourniquets in my bottom pockets on my pants, and on each shoulder pocket in my top.

Mags, ehhh, I want my carrier to be some what flat and small so I’m just using what’s inside the crye, but recognize I need more than 90 rounds so I have 2 HSG pouches.

Demo gerber bc Im an engineer and it’s handy for demo. It’s also just a great all around tool. That up front or on my right side close to the front.

Flat pack is for the camel back and 3 day supply type stuff. Not sure how I really feel about it. I’ve only used it for 1 day ranges and stuff. So not very useful for those situations, but could be on longer field exercises. I could see it’s usefulness when I was in Afghanistan.

EDIT: flat pack can store NVGs and Flashlights. I used NVGs almost daily in AFG. Flashlights inside the FOBs and COPs. Especially moving from tents / barracks to motor pool at 3 am in all your gear.

Back
Top Bottom