• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

THE PLATE CARRIER / CHEST RIG THREAD

anybody have thoughts for a lightweight pistol rated plate for the back of my slickster? Ordered an RMA 1003 for the front and was hoping to use an existing soft panel for the rear but no dice. Figured I would check with the pros before ordering an RMA 0226 for $100. Yes I know it's not a super high rating but with a back injury I am leaning towards light and some coverage over heavy and left behind (or naked and not the least bit bullet resistant)

anybody have thoughts for a lightweight pistol rated plate for the back of my slickster? Ordered an RMA 1003 for the front and was hoping to use an existing soft panel for the rear but no dice. Figured I would check with the pros before ordering an RMA 0226 for $100. Yes I know it's not a super high rating but with a back injury I am leaning towards light and some coverage over heavy and left behind (or naked and not the least bit bullet resistant)
YMMV but having different weights in each plate bag makes the plate carrier feel heavier than if you’ve got two plates of the same weight. Especially if adding any gear or mags to the front. It pulls the weight forward and may exacerbate your back injury. Maybe borrow some different plates and experiment before ordering.

With that said, it’s probably a lot less noticeable with super light plates or pistol rated armor but worth mentioning!

YMMV but having different weights in each plate bag makes the plate carrier feel heavier than if you’ve got two plates of the same weight. Especially if adding any gear or mags to the front. It pulls the weight forward and may exacerbate your back injury. Maybe borrow some different plates and experiment before ordering.

With that said, it’s probably a lot less noticeable with super light plates or pistol rated armor but worth mentioning!
Burning Love Burning Love thanks for the head's up. I have been experimenting but over time, I don't have any local buddies with plates :-/

my first adventure was RMA cheap ceramics that were like 8 pounds each. That sucked. Then I tried some L210, that sucked but less.

the 1003 I have there is nice, 2.5 pounds, but only tried the one so far. I'm picking up 2 pistol-only plates this afternoon to try. 1 pound each so the whole PC will weigh about what a heavy sweater weighs. I figured if I don't like them or want more coverage they could end up in backpacks for travel or a discreet vest since they are like a quarter inch thick. we shall see.

Also trying to buy a chest rig but somehow keep spending all my gun money

Burning Love Burning Love thanks for the head's up. I have been experimenting but over time, I don't have any local buddies with plates :-/

my first adventure was RMA cheap ceramics that were like 8 pounds each. That sucked. Then I tried some L210, that sucked but less.

the 1003 I have there is nice, 2.5 pounds, but only tried the one so far. I'm picking up 2 pistol-only plates this afternoon to try. 1 pound each so the whole PC will weigh about what a heavy sweater weighs. I figured if I don't like them or want more coverage they could end up in backpacks for travel or a discreet vest since they are like a quarter inch thick. we shall see.

Also trying to buy a chest rig but somehow keep spending all my gun money

You’re back is so messed up that you feel 16lbs on it? That’s got to be miserable. What is it? Compressed discs? I think my plate carrier in 2012 was about 35lbs fully loaded, front / back and side plates, ammo, radio, sustainment pouch, knife, and camel back.

You’re back is so messed up that you feel 16lbs on it? That’s got to be miserable. What is it? Compressed discs? I think my plate carrier in 2012 was about 35lbs fully loaded, front / back and side plates, ammo, radio, sustainment pouch, knife, and camel back.
yup. stenosis, narrowing of some IVFs, 2 of the discs are gone... I'm no spring chicken. Had useless spinal injections, won't go back or get surgery.

Since getting hurt I vowed I would lose the weight of my full kit. I'm down 50 pounds as of today thankfully, and lighter than I was in college. a few more pounds to go, but I figured shaving weight off my ass + shaving weight off my kit would make a solid combo.

I'm not tip of the spear material. I am honestly unlikely to be shot at generally, so I think the trade offs are (hopefully) worth it for me.

steviesterno steviesterno thats great man. My uncle needed knee surgery and then lost 100lbs. After his weight loss he no longer needed surgery. You’re on the right track.
Picked these up today. With a slickster I should be under 3 pounds and pistol-proof

Attachments

• 46E08174-D793-4494-B3D2-4DF4A0D08E22.jpeg
    46E08174-D793-4494-B3D2-4DF4A0D08E22.jpeg
    429.1 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top Bottom