• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

THE PLATE CARRIER / CHEST RIG THREAD

This is what I'm using currently:

CC19A0C2-89A0-41FF-ACDF-F8AAD7DF66AB.jpeg

Haley Strategic D3CRM on a Spiritus Thing 2
2 Eagle Industries Nalgene/GP Pouches I'll put water, 3 mags, or whatever in these depending on what I'm doing.
Ferro Dangler with IFAK inside
It's a very versatile setup, that I can scale up or down as needed. The main thing I'm going to change is the back-strap for an elastic one from T.rex Arms. I may switch to an H-harness as well, if I don't completely change rigs, I'm not a fan of the X-harness.

Mission dictates the type of firearm, so I have different placards to swap out for different firearms. PCC would be more for a CQB or home defense situation.
Fair. Why not a rifle for HD? I use 300 because it’s worse going through drywall than 9mm and it’s a short overall package
It's hard to beat a suppressed sub gun for HD. They are so light, maneuverable and, just fun to shoot. I'm confident giving one to my wife, and feeling like she has a pretty good chance of fighting with it succesfully. I know 300 blk is good too but, ammo is crazy expensive especially for subs - that's why I haven't bought one yet - they're also heavier, which is something to consider, especially if it's something you plan for a smaller/weaker person to use. I know that's not the case here, as FreedomUSMC FreedomUSMC is a Swoldier but, I'm just making a case for why you'd use a PCC in general.

It's hard to beat a suppressed sub gun for HD. They are so light, maneuverable and, just fun to shoot. I'm confident giving one to my wife, and feeling like she has a pretty good chance of fighting with it succesfully. I know 300 blk is good too but, ammo is crazy expensive especially for subs - that's why I haven't bought one yet - they're also heavier, which is something to consider, especially if it's something you plan for a smaller/weaker person to use. I know that's not the case here, as FreedomUSMC FreedomUSMC is a Swoldier but, I'm just making a case for why you'd use a PCC in general.
I like PCC and up until recently a glock/flux was my go-to. But my thought is Rifle > Pistol for all things except concealing. So if I don't have to worry about concealing something, I want the hardest hitting option available. Pistol rounds certainly stop bad guys, but rifle rounds stop them faster, especially when you go with boutique (not cheap) supersonics. A 300bo super from a rattler has about 3x the energy as a similar weight 9mm, plus over ~2000fps you get to deal with the elastic ruining of soft tissue, which doesn't happen with pistol rounds.

Granted most gun fights are over when the good guy draws, and all my times needing a firearm I didn't even have to shoot, so they could have been empty. Weren't, but could have been.

unless I'm sticking it in my pants, I want all the advantage I can get.

Ammo cost for subsonic rounds is why I have a scorpion over a 300blk. I already have a **** ton of 9mm and don’t have to stock a new caliber.

Ballistically, 300 is better.

Logistically, 9mm is easier for me. If I don’t need to be as quiet, I just bump up to 5.56.

Maybe not ideal, but I can’t justify the money when it could be spent on larger gaps in my gear, ammo, or training. For other individuals, it may be worth it.

I like PCC and up until recently a glock/flux was my go-to. But my thought is Rifle > Pistol for all things except concealing. So if I don't have to worry about concealing something, I want the hardest hitting option available. Pistol rounds certainly stop bad guys, but rifle rounds stop them faster, especially when you go with boutique (not cheap) supersonics. A 300bo super from a rattler has about 3x the energy as a similar weight 9mm, plus over ~2000fps you get to deal with the elastic ruining of soft tissue, which doesn't happen with pistol rounds.

Granted most gun fights are over when the good guy draws, and all my times needing a firearm I didn't even have to shoot, so they could have been empty. Weren't, but could have been.

unless I'm sticking it in my pants, I want all the advantage I can get.
I agree. I want the hardest hitting option available too, that's why I choose a shotgun for home defense lol.

I'm not saying 300 blk is a bad round by any means but, talking subs at cqb distances here, there is no reason to feel that a 9mm to the face wouldn't have the same effect as a 300blk would. It's good to have the versatility that you get with 300 supers for sure but, ballistics aside (because we all know 9mm blows the lungs straight outta the body), ammo prices and availability being what they are, is the main reason why I personally haven't gotten into 300blk. I simply couldn't shoot as much 300blk as I do 9mm, and that alone is enough to keep most people out of the 300 game myself included - in which case I think a PCC is fine.

If you can afford to shoot 300blk enough to be proficient with it, good don't switch to a PCC for cost and weight savings if those aren't a factor for you. I use a shotty which is heavy as hell but, if I had the money (which is the only limiting factor for me) to shoot 300 blackout, I would probably sell my shotguns (or at least one) and use a short suppressed 300blk rifle as my home defense gun but, it's not the right choice for everyone.

Ammo cost for subsonic rounds is why I have a scorpion over a 300blk. I already have a **** ton of 9mm and don’t have to stock a new caliber.

Ballistically, 300 is better.

Logistically, 9mm is easier for me. If I don’t need to be as quiet, I just bump up to 5.56.

Maybe not ideal, but I can’t justify the money when it could be spent on larger gaps in my gear, ammo, or training. For other individuals, it may be worth it.
Damn, we basically said the same thing at the same time. My reply was way more long-winded though.

Back
Top Bottom