• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Price of AKs

I’ve noticed that since prices went above $500 on AK’s, I don’t see them in classes anymore.

Told my students in my last class that there were two types of AK owners; those that prefer them because they’re cheap, and those that lie and say they’re a superior platform, but actually prefer them cuz they’re cheap.
Totally agree, we had them (AKMS) issued so we would blend in.

I own a AK platform as a back up to my AR. And yes they are cheap to own and operate.

I respect you, but that's not true and you know it.
I used my ACE at the last day long rifle class I took (not your class).
There was a Bren 805, a couple of MPX, rest were ARs. The only problems I observed were with 1 homebuild AR and 1 factory AR.
I have a choice of grabbing a Geisseli, a DD, BCM, etc when I go in my woods. It is always a Galil ACE

While there is a giant grain of truth in my statement, it was intended in a joking manner.

Also, I consider a Galil ACE an AK as much as a modern AR is a 1964 M16. As in, it’s kinda sorta, but not really. It solves many of the issues that I have with the AK platform and ain’t truly an AK. It’s an AK like my SBR SIG 556xi Russian is an AK; the DNA is in there, but it has evolved far beyond the original.

When I say AK, I’m picturing something of the WASR in style and controls.

While there is a giant grain of truth in my statement, it was intended in a joking manner.

Also, I consider a Galil ACE an AK as much as a modern AR is a 1964 M16. As in, it’s kinda sorta, but not really. It solves many of the issues that I have with the AK platform and ain’t truly an AK. It’s an AK like my SBR SIG 556xi Russian is an AK; the DNA is in there, but it has evolved far beyond the original.

When I say AK, I’m picturing something of the WASR in style and controls.

I'm curious what's the failure rate of an AK vs the failure of an AR in your classes? I know there are way more ARs...When you see an AK fail, what's the failure and what's the cause?

I'm curious what's the failure rate of an AK vs the failure of an AR in your classes? I know there are way more ARs...When you see an AK fail, what's the failure and what's the cause?

My Norinco most common failure are stuck cases, ripping case heads off brass cases (now shoot steel only because of this) and trigger malfunctions caused by debris entering the gapping hole behind the bolt that’s exposed when the safety is off.

It’s a neat piece of history, and I enjoy shooting it, but if I needed a fighting gun I would grab one of my ARs and leave the Norinco in the safe.

Hard to compare, as I haven’t seen a true AK variant in my classes in some time, and that’s a shame. I like some variation, and I like most all carbines and rifles.

In the past, it’s mainly been issues with feeding, extraction, and ejection. I don’t always know the cause. If I’m running a class of 16-20 students with a posted curriculum, my main job (after safety) is to cover the topics and get everyone up to speed. I rarely have the time to break someone’s gun down and discover what their issues are. Oftentimes I invite the students to the leave the gun with me, or meet me back at the range at a later date, so I can solve it.

My last Combat Carbine Teamwork class, we had a total of 15 AR-variants and 1 SKS.

1 AR had constant issues all day; a homebuild in .45ACP that fed from Glock mags. Something so far from its origins that I consider it a separate species. About half the issues were user error, and the owner was running a wide selection of ammo through it, including steel case. I have no idea what the root of the problem was.

Other than that, no issues with any AR’s in the class. At the very end of the day, a 5.56 had some issues, which turned out to be caused by the handloads the student was using. I gave her a some of my factory ammo and the problem went away.

I realize this one class is a microcosm of AR use in America, I am only using it as an example.

Hard to compare, as I haven’t seen a true AK variant in my classes in some time, and that’s a shame. I like some variation, and I like most all carbines and rifles.

In the past, it’s mainly been issues with feeding, extraction, and ejection. I don’t always know the cause. If I’m running a class of 16-20 students with a posted curriculum, my main job (after safety) is to cover the topics and get everyone up to speed. I rarely have the time to break someone’s gun down and discover what their issues are. Oftentimes I invite the students to the leave the gun with me, or meet me back at the range at a later date, so I can solve it.
If I take your class I will run either Vepr FM or SLR107 or Bren 2.
My back up for the other class was Marcolmar's CetmeL with Meprolight's M21. But I had more x39 ammo on hand than 5.56, so I went with the ACE.
All failures in AKs that I had were traced to using surplus mags. Bodies were dented, functioned fine with the wooden dowel, did not feed fast enough when fired.
I am pickier about the surplus magazines now, check the bodies and spring length.
I think it boils down to familarity. I have been shooting AKs for 40 years, ARs only for 4 years.

Back
Top Bottom