• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

THE RIFLE THREAD

Mine is a GP/SHTF rifle. If Red Dawn (or whatever SHTF scenario) happens tomorrow and I had to disappear into the forest, this is the rifle I would take with me, assuming I could get to it in time - if not I guess I'm fighting "WW3" with a G19...
There are also a few cases where I would use it for home or (more accurately) yard defense, because I live on a few acres and, I may have to take anywhere from an 80 to a 200+ yard shot to stop someone from kidnapping or killing a family member - as one example.

Why do you hate BAD Levers? I know they look kinda lame but, I like having the ability to lock the bolt back without taking my hand off the fire controls (to clear malfunctions in case the need arises), it's way faster. It's slightly faster to release the bolt for reloads too but, that's not why I use one; and I've got way too many reps on the traditional reload to bother with retraining a new reload technique. In either case, I don't see any big safety issues because I don't put my finger in the trigger guard when I'm using the lever, it stays straight along the receiver whether I use it to lock the bolt back or, release it and, in my main use case (locking the bolt back), my finger is moving up and away from the trigger - which is most likely a dead trigger at this point anyway so, the likelihood of having an ND is essentially non-existent.
I’ve seen a few bad lever induced NDs on reloads but that’s just my experience watching people use them. If you’re aware the risk is there and have another use for them, you know your gun better than I do!

I encourage and help everyone set up their M14/M1A rifle based on their personal wants and needs ... I am utilizing the Blackfeather RS chassis kit that I import from Canada. I have set my personal M14s up in just about every possible configuration so that I can answer questions from those pursuing a similar set up, I have set mine up with a folding butt stock collapsible butt stock, a standard collapsible butt stock, a fixed Magpul butt stock, forward scout rails for RDS and iron sights, monolithic long sight plane rails for optics and BUIS, and I have also used the high butt stock adapter that is perfect for optics on the long sight plane rail.

IMG_4322.JPG

IMG_9046 (2).JPG

Having tried all of these different set ups over the past decade I have decided that the set up that best meets my personal wants and needs is the RS chassis stock with an SGA butt stock plus a scout hand guard with an EOTech, Aimpoint, or scout scope mounted low... I like a Vickers Padded Sling. This set up is balanced & simple, the LOP is adjustable, it allows me to use the iron sights, I can add weapon lights and other electronics, and I can add cheek risers if needed.

IMG_6378.JPG

Forged Heel Stamped Poly Tech receiver.
16.25" SEI barrel with 4 grooves and a 1:10 ROT chambered for M118 LR.
SEI's Socom 16 muzzle device kit with a DC Vortex flash eliminator and a NM front sight.
SEI's War Fighter gas cylinder and new gas piston with helical rings, plus extra volume gas plug.
USGI TRW bolt and op rod.
USGI TRW trigger group with SEI's Max-Pack upgrades plus a USGI EBR trigger shoe.
Blackfeather RS chassis stock with Blackfeather scout hand guard.
Magpul SGA butt stock.
USGI rear sight assembly.
USGI M3 Breech cover to deflect gas blow back when SEI's Wind Talker suppressor is used.
Aimpoint Comp M4.
Standard USGI 20 round magazine.
Sadlak mag release paddle.
SEI bolt release paddle.

IMG_7382.JPG

Forged Heel Stamped Poly Tech receiver.
Medium weight 22.00" SEI M21A5 'Crazy Horse' barrel with 4 grooves and a 1:10 ROT chambered for M118 LR.
USGI flash hider with bayonet lug and NM front sight.
SEI's War Fighter gas cylinder and new gas piston with helical rings, plus extra volume gas plug.
USGI TRW bolt and SEI op rod.
USGI TRW trigger group with SEI's Max-Pack upgrades plus a USGI EBR trigger shoe.
Blackfeather RS chassis stock with Blackfeather scout hand guard for medium weight barrels.
Magpul SGA butt stock.
USGI rear sight assembly.
Aimpoint Comp M4s.
Standard USGI 20 round magazine.
Sadlak mag release paddle.
SEI bolt release paddle.

Next up for me is an SPRish build. DD14.5” barrel, Razor 1-6, Geissele mk4, Geissele ssa-e, b5 precision stock. I’ve shot this out to about 600 yards a few times, and I love it.

My only real complaint would be the gun is pretty front heavy, especially suppressed and set up for night vision with a laser unit. The B5 is pretty heavy which actually helps with the balance. The plan is to get some clip on thermal for this down the road. It’s going to be even more front heavy but that seems to be the trade off.

Attachments

• B8E1A9FA-7993-4655-B66C-F25987180E70.jpeg
    B8E1A9FA-7993-4655-B66C-F25987180E70.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom