• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Ruger P95, the Ruger Security 9, and some observations.

10   0
Reaction score
This past Saturday, I was able to put my hands on the new Ruger Security 9. To be honest, I was torn between trading for a classic Ruger P95 and the new Ruger Security 9. Initially, I was impressed with the Security 9: a great grip, good sights, a good trigger, and good size. This compact hammer-fired 9mm was poised to "Out-Creed" the Walther Creed.

But the P95 was classic Ruger late 20th Century design: beefy, durable, and enough steel in it to make 2 K-Frames. It was Ruger's first 9mm design with a polymer (long-strand fiberglass) frame: ambidextrous frame mounted safety, ambidextrous magazine release, and three-dot sights. And, smartly, magazines from the pre-existing P85 and P89 designs were interchangeable.

So, the proof for me would come with one basic thought: would the Security 9 take the magazines from the readily available SR9 magazines? Really, why wouldn't they be? I mean this was a no-brainer, right?

So I tried the first SR9 magazine in the Security 9. It didn't lock into place. No joy.

The SR9 magazine fit, but would not lock in the Security 9. Upon closer inspection, the SR9 magazine locks up on front via a rectangular hole in the front. The Security 9 magazine has the same rectangular hole in the same location, but it also has a traditional 'side lock' magazine hole on the right side only. Which further tells me the magazine release is not reversible on the Security 9.

The Security 9 has much going for it. But, on Saturday, I walked away with the ambidextrous P95. And 3 extra OEM magazines for cheap. And, at least in my mind, the better Ruger 9mm compact. And several questions for the current leadership at Ruger.

So you are saying you bought the better gun because of magazine compatability, not accuracy or features?

I'm very close to buying a Security 9 so I was hoping for more. Lol

So you are saying you bought the better gun because of magazine compatability, not accuracy or features?

I'm very close to buying a Security 9 so I was hoping for more. Lol

Smoothie, I will leave the "better" argument to the more experienced among us, like yourself. I was simply making observations of the very first two available Security 9's I saw this weekend. If Ruger intended to use the Security 9 as their new candidate for entry level gun, they hit the mark. It's an entry level gun and nothing more. But in a world of police trade-ins and a healthy used market with readily available and proven platforms, Ruger missed.

Ruger hasn't exactly advertised the new feature of proprietary magazines (Walther Creed magazines are shared with the PPX). I didn't consider $30 OEM magazines ($40 from the Ruger website) as a new feature I would want. As to the accuracy and features, I got both with the P95, along with reliable and less expensive magazines in a proven platform. The irony that I actually got more of the features I was looking for in a 20 plus-year old design from the same manufacturer is not lost on me.

I remember the P89 I had decades ago great gun you could have built 6 J Frames out of it. Very accurate ate anything. The P series stayed around for what 25-30 years? I've been looking at them again myself needing a good gun that isn't a lot of money reliable and something to carry that if it rust a little so what. And at $200-225 out the door is getting my attention even more. The P95 mags are readily available @ $20 each. There are times I don't want to have my M&Ps, 1911,or CZ being drug through where I am so yep the P95 is looking REALLY tempting. Seeing I can buy a P95 a good holster and couple extra mags ( for a total of 4 mags) and still be under what a new Security 9 will cost. I had a P95 priced to me for $225 otd Ruger Kydex Custom holster $40 and 2 mags for a grand total of $305. Think I just talked myself into buying one and I can blame you guy's here on the Trader. Not that it"s going to help since I just bought a CZ P09 less that a month ago but I will still throw you guy's under the bus to my wife.

I walked into our local cop shop and in the used handgun section was a Ruger P95 with a price tag of $219.99 but it only had one mag. I talked to the salesman and in our conversation the old iron ore mines in our area came up so I broke out my phone and showed him a lot of pics of the mines and Dinky tunnels (Narrow Gauge rail) he said let me see if I have anymore mags. He came back with 2 for a total of 3 15 rd mags. I had to pay taxes so it was $235 OTD. $25 for a Kydex IWB holster brings the total to $260. Gun was made between 2012-2013 so I have my crawling around in places I shouldn't be gun. And Remingtom 870 tactical 6+1 with side saddle not a scratch on the gun $300 OTD. Got home and my wife said you got some good deals today. Ah life is good.

Back
Top Bottom