• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The thing I'm most 'scared' of in the woods....

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
Snakes? Pfft. No. Bears? Nope. Big cats (and all the black panthers in the state)? Nope. Zombie coyote wolf hybrids? No.
The thing I hate the most in the woods is..... TICKS!
Went to the cabin last Sunday (23rd) and was doing some work on my fruit trees and didn't use any spray as it wasn't handy. Pulled a little tick cruising my fore arm driving home. After a really hot shower, just felt like stuff was crawling on me all night even though when I'd check a spot there was nothing.
Fast forward to last Thursday, washing (what's left of) my hair and felt something around one of my temples. Yep, tick. It was in the exact spot that would be behind the sidearms on my glasses. Sneaky bastage. He was attached. He was pretty healthy. Pulled him off and he went down the drain. No pain so didn't worry too much about it even though the "24 hour attached" rule was in my mind. Late the next day, the bite site was starting to look a little infected and was pretty sore. Of course it was too late to get into a doctor at that point and I will NEVER go to a 'doc in the box' again. Saturday felt pretty miserable, headache, VERY fatigued and felt like I was going to pass out every time I stood up from doing yard work. Of coure zero idea if it was related. Sunday was better but still a little run down. Felt normal today but after reading too much about tick borne diseases, I still went to see the doctor (which I almost NEVER do). Prescription for antibiotic and hopefully that's that. :pray2:
I guess I didn't realize Lyme's disease was as awful and long lasting as it is.
I just don't want the one where you can't eat meat. I'd have to shoot myself. Got to be better than starvation.

You don’t have to worry about lime disease. The tick that carry’s it does not live this far south(Ga). The only thing you would have to worry about is the meat allergy. I pick wild blackberries every year and pull hundreds off Each season. Never gotten sick.

Snakes? Pfft. No. Bears? Nope. Big cats (and all the black panthers in the state)? Nope. Zombie coyote wolf hybrids? No.
Went to the cabin last Sunday (23rd) and was doing some work on my fruit trees and didn't use any spray as it wasn't handy. Pulled a little tick cruising my fore arm driving home. After a really hot shower, just felt like stuff was crawling on me all night even though when I'd check a spot there was nothing.
Fast forward to last Thursday, washing (what's left of) my hair and felt something around one of my temples. Yep, tick. It was in the exact spot that would be behind the sidearms on my glasses. Sneaky bastage. He was attached. He was pretty healthy. Pulled him off and he went down the drain. No pain so didn't worry too much about it even though the "24 hour attached" rule was in my mind. Late the next day, the bite site was starting to look a little infected and was pretty sore. Of course it was too late to get into a doctor at that point and I will NEVER go to a 'doc in the box' again. Saturday felt pretty miserable, headache, VERY fatigued and felt like I was going to pass out every time I stood up from doing yard work. Of coure zero idea if it was related. Sunday was better but still a little run down. Felt normal today but after reading too much about tick borne diseases, I still went to see the doctor (which I almost NEVER do). Prescription for antibiotic and hopefully that's that. :pray2:
I just don't want the one where you can't eat meat. I'd have to shoot myself. Got to be better than starvation.
Yep always check the ticks you pull off. If it isn’t a lone star tick you’ll live. If it is a lone star tick you’ll also live, but is never eating meat again really living? May as well move to the belt line and grow a man bun. @BangBang :boink:

I've had the Alpha Gal virus since before the doctors in my area even knew what it was. I have a blood draw every 6 months now to check my values for different meats (beef/pork). Have to be less than .10 to be safely consumed, and mine hasn't been that low since I contracted the virus. Got my latest results last week and they're higher than they've ever been. Guess it was from pulling this critter off my chest about a couple months ago. Oh well, Turkey still tastes good as anything else I guess......
20200619_054633.jpg

I've had the Alpha Gal virus since before the doctors in my area even knew what it was. I have a blood draw every 6 months now to check my values for different meats (beef/pork). Have to be less than .10 to be safely consumed, and mine hasn't been that low since I contracted the virus. Got my latest results last week and they're higher than they've ever been. Guess it was from pulling this critter off my chest about a couple months ago. Oh well, Turkey still tastes good as anything else I guess......
View attachment 2798079
DJD. Have understanding that it can also eventually go away. May take time or may never. Praying for the first.

Not to give you any more nightmare fuel but seed ticks are something I had never heard of before this spring. Wife & I had been hiking & anytime we went thru vegetation checked for ticks

After getting home & showering she asked me to look at some spots she had on her hip. They looked almost like little moles or flecks that wouldn't come off. Got some magnifying glasses & saw they were ticks.

Apparently when they just hatch they are tiny & look like seeds or just spots of dirt. Had to take tweezers & wear the glasses & pulled off over 70 of the little bastards then wiped the area with alcohol.

https://www.countryliving.com/life/news/a43076/seed-ticks-bites-kids/

Back
Top Bottom