• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Ultimate Pursuit in Hunting: Sheep

Yep. Lots of scouting beforehand so you know where they are opening morning. Even if the tags fill quick there are other species that open for rifle very early there and on the same day, September 15th. Elk and Deer are draw, but have a near 100% success rate on the first try. Black Bear and Mountain Lion (I think) licences can be bought over the counter. You can also put in for Mountain Goat and Moose tags.

One thing to keep in mind is that this area has one of the highest concentrations of Grizzly Bear in the lower 48 and many say it's just a matter of time before you have one walks through your camp. They are also completely protected. In fact, to get a Black Bear tag you have to pass a bear identification test to make sure you won't shoot a Grizz by mistake.
Have hunted Mulies and Antelope in Wyoming, awesome experience. Would be hard not to draw down on a Grizzly that invaded the camp, heck of a beast to try and stay calm around

Have hunted Mulies and Antelope in Wyoming, awesome experience. Would be hard not to draw down on a Grizzly that invaded the camp, heck of a beast to try and stay calm around
Me and a friend were going to do this hunt in 2005. With all the seasons combined it's about a 60 day season. We were going to do a backpack hunt where we would go into a selected camp for five days, then come out, resupply and go to another camp for five days. Then repeat. We had six camp sights selected and figured seven days for each. One day in, five days hunting and one day out. My daughter and I were going to do a trout fishing/scouting trip the summer before. The Grizz were why I bought a 4 inch 500 S&W.

Unfortunately, my buddy copped out on me and this is not the kind of thing a sane person does alone.

00BIGHORN-hunt2-sub-superJumbo.jpg

Me and a friend were going to do this hunt in 2005. With all the seasons combined it's about a 60 day season. We were going to do a backpack hunt where we would go into a selected camp for five days, then come out, resupply and go to another camp for five days. Then repeat. We had six camp sights selected and figured seven days for each. One day in, five days hunting and one day out. My daughter and I were going to do a trout fishing/scouting trip the summer before. The Grizz were why I bought a 4 inch 500 S&W.

Unfortunately, my buddy copped out on me and this is not the kind of thing a sane person does alone.
Brother, I wish I had that much time to go on a trip like that. That would be a trip of a lifetime. They have whatever you want to hunt out west, I would be spoiled out there

Brother, I wish I had that much time to go on a trip like that. That would be a trip of a lifetime. They have whatever you want to hunt out west, I would be spoiled out there
Yeah, it was meant to be a very special thing. Now I'm to old to try and do something that radical.

Back
Top Bottom