• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The vine that ate the South

It was brought here for erosion control from all the years of bad farming practices u can still find evidence of those practices where u have ditches deep enough hide a vehicle and from finding area that had terraces barely wide enough to turn a mule and sweep around. But it does have its benefits cane be used for grazing some folks even cut & baled hay from it. YESS OLE KUDZU WAS BROUGHT IN TO HELP STOP SOIL ERSION FROM BACK IN THE DAY WHEN COTTON WAS KING ALL ACROSS THE SOUTH

You can see the logic behind it. After all, the South was suffering from huge erosion issues due to over-farming poor soil and crops that made it 10x worse (cotton and tobacco mainly).

And to be honest, I actually find a run down shack overrun with kudzu kind of beautiful. It's like those CGIs of 'after mankind'. I wouldn't be real happy with having to deal with it on my property though.

About 20 years ago I had it bad. The stuff had taken over and was headed for the house. Old guy told me to build a fence and he would get me some goats. Two weeks after getting goats I couldn’t build fence fast enough. Goats are long gone now and it’s starting to come back. Just had a guy take out a bunch with a excavator this week. Easier than those damn goats.

Back
Top Bottom