• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The work begins!

The guys that I got them from did not want to part with their buckets. Even had some of the 5 gallon paint buckets from HD to swap them for.

Not a problem because I needed to seperate them prior to smelting.

Tom

Your muffins look done! Actually, that's really neat. How many cast bullets do you get from one ingot? I've considered getting into casting my own but I don't know if it's worth it. I'm pretty happy with Missouri Bullet Company's cast lead.

Really depends upon what weight bullet that I am casting for. My muffin ingots weigh roughly 2lbs each.
2 x 7,000=14,000
14,000 divided by 300= 46 bullets
Bullet count is all dependant upon the weight of the bullet being cast.

The main reason I got into casting is I got really tired of paying so much for quality LBT style bullets. Think Cast Performance/Beartooth. $30-40+ for a hundred bullets gets expensive fast!

Then again there is the satasifaction aspect of reloading your own.

Tom

Good outdoor ventilation for the smelting process looks like.

Maybe somebody can take the time to address my desire for knowledge.

Hey, What is the best way to clean the lead out of the barrell after shooting non plated bullets?

Is it true that shooting fmj after non plated lead in the same session before cleaning is a very bad thing?

On the Missouri web site listed above there is a demonstration video on a Lewis Lead Remover kit they sell.
Looks quicker and less nasty.
Any experience with it?

Thanks.

If you have significant leading then you have got yourself a problem!

Cast bullets basically have to be sized for the intended weapon and a good lube used to prevent the leading. You can drive a properly lubed and sized bullet just as fast if not faster than with the same exact load with a jacketed bullet. Talking strictly handguns here mind you.

If you have significant leading go out and get you a couple of the "Chore Boy" scrubbers. Wrap some of it around a patch and use it like a bore brush. A little solvent and you are good to go.

IMHO, I do not suscribe to the idea of firing a jacketed bullet after firing cast bullets especially if you have leading in the barrel. I would greatly fear a serious pressure spike as the worst case scenario, then again what happens when you do fire a jacketed round down a leaded barrel. The lead gets pushed even more so into the lands and grooves make a hard task even harder to remove.

I do use one of those clothes that are designed strictly for lead removal. Cut it into patches and run it through the barrel. Cleans the residue out quick.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom