• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

the worst kind of hunter-shot 2 dogs because he wanted to

This was your original quote.
Your comment was about every hunter you know shooting every dog they see on their property during a hunt.
Now, they've suddenly morphed into farmers protecting livestock? :confused:

The farmers can speak for themselves, which has absolutely zero to do with the OP.
For the record, if I was a farmer and any dog, feral or otherwise was endangering my livelihood, I'd do as the law allows.
When I'm hunting, I don't go popping off at every critter in the woods. I've had dogs run just as many deer TO me in the woods as away from me.
And I'd have zero problem putting down a feral dog, especially one that acted vicious towards me or mine. Now granted, my stance isn't as impressive sounding as "shoot 'em all let God sort 'em out" but that's the price of discernment I guess.

Way to try to put words in my mouth. NO, I said these folks worked as farmers as a way to convey their mindset and background.

And I have no doubt they would put down any stray canine they found on their land. They do not talk about it, nor brag about it like this FAKE article you are so upset about.

We had dog problem at another club I belonged to yrs ago, I kept a filp in my pack and bb's. See a dog send a bb flying, would scare the hell out of them.

this has kinda turned into a whats right and wrong. my opinion, the guy was wrong for killing these two dogs. a dog owner is wrong for letting their pets run loose. a person is right to kill a dog thats threatening or killing their animals or family. a hunter, like it or not has a right to kill dogs chasing deer on their hunting land. but i think it would need it to be in the act of chasing a deer, not just walking thru the woods.. again, i dont kill what i wont eat, unless it is putting something out of its misery, or protecting my own..
i can see a hunter, who spends money on a license, ammo,hunting equipment,land or land lease, seeing that as tangible property. they have a right to protect that property.
like it or dont.
i kinda got irritated with some of the dog defense remarks, as i have seen first hand what dogs can do. both with my own pets, and family livestock. my nephew lost a bunch of chickens. he also lost all the eggs those chickens would produce. they sold them, so thats income. i lost pets, we loved them. my parents lost registered dairy goats (i hate goats but thats a different story) they also had a pure blood registered Arabian mare hobbled by a dog. that was a lot of money.
long and short of it. no one can kill you dog without going to jail, IFFFFFFFF, you dog is in your yard.

Unless it's the PoPo.

if the popo kills your dog, they had better have a good reason. if not, they have a big problem..
but i see what you are saying. i think i remember a story about that a while back...

There have been many stories about C S cops shooting people's dogs. If you have a fear of dogs, or being shot at, then you shouldn't be a cop.

a hunter, like it or not has a right to kill dogs chasing deer on their hunting land. but i think it would need it to be in the act of chasing a deer, not just walking thru the woods..
You've got a link for this? There was a law that was passed to that effect as long as the dog was not collared (unless it was dispatched by LEO) and it raised a holy stink heaven high. I can't find it now and wonder if it was rescinded.

And not that anyone cares about the law but in the off chance someone does....

§ 4-8-5. Performing cruel acts on, or harming, maiming or killing dogs

(a) No person shall perform a cruel act on any dog; nor shall any person harm, maim, or kill any dog, or attempt to do so, except that a person may:

(1) Defend his or her person or property, or the person or property of another, from injury or damage being caused by a dog; or

(2) Kill any dog causing injury or damage to any livestock, poultry, or pet animal.

(b) The method used for killing the dog shall be designed to be as humane as is possible under the circumstances. A person who humanely kills a dog under the circumstances indicated in subsection (a) of this Code section shall incur no liability for such death.

(c) This Code section shall not be construed to limit in any way the authority or duty of any law enforcement officer, dog or rabies control officer, humane society, or veterinarian.
i think you summed it up. the property is the hunting land, the deer is your food. the dog, taking or chasing game animals is damaging your property..

i think you summed it up. the property is the hunting land, the deer is your food. the dog, taking or chasing game animals is damaging your property..
Nope. I promise you that will NOT fly as the deer are not 'yours'. They are public property. That is why a specific law 'was' passed addressing dogs chasing wild game. It was perhaps 10 years ago. I can't find it now.... :mmph:

Back
Top Bottom