• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

the worst kind of hunter-shot 2 dogs because he wanted to

Over the past several years in our county, loose dogs became a huge problem with multiple livestock attacks, several instances of dogs attacking people and one fatality (an elderly women walking down the street).

It is a sad development that a rural county like mine finally had to implement an animal control program due to the irresponsible actions of more than a few individuals.

Having said that, it wasn't too long ago that neighbors used to watch out for each other. 20 years ago, those dogs that killed the elderly woman would have either not been running around, or would have been dispatched early on by a nearby property owner, before they became a problem.

Societal decay...

This guy is a real peice of work. Story sounds fishy at best. That being said, I've hunted on property where we have had problems with people letting their dogs run at large. This year I've had 20 + trail camera pics of these 2 certain dogs. I have contacted the owners about making sure they keep the dogs off my property, they didn't seem to care too much about it. I spend a ton of time and money on that land and then I sit out there only to hear someone's dogs running my deer off the property? Nope, sorry, won't be any collar collecting or Facebook posting, but won't be any dogs ruining my hunting anymore either. What would y'all do in that situation?

I've let the dogs walk every single time. I'm not shooting a dog even if it's a stray.
Too much respect for their kind.... I'll hunt another day.

I'm probably gonna catch grief for saying this...... But!

As bad as killing a dog for "fun" or boredom or whatever is...

Is it really a crime severe enough for a felony charge?
I'm not an animal lover by nature. But people kill bears and dear and elk and go on exotic hunting safaris and no one bats an eye..

I'm not condoning it. But I have a LOT of family members who treat dogs like people. I just don't get it.a hefty fine and a month or two in lock up, sure. But a felony charge?
When did animal life become more valuable than human? Again NOT CONDONING HIS ACTIONS. I just don't get it
Blame Disney. It started with the "All Dogs Go To Heaven" sentiment. When you have people that actually believe a dog has an eternal life, well... you're going to get some seemingly illogical responses.
Having said that, a dog is property. It is a felony to take property above $x (varies by state). It's not hard to justify that the value of a dog exceeds that limit. I have no problem with the intentional killing of an obviously domestic dog not threatening anyone or anything being a felony charge. I'm also fine with that mind no longer being able to posses a firearm after that felony conviction.

For a domestic dog to get shot it takes at least one complete sphincter. Either the irresponsible dog owner or the shooter. In some cases both. Don't be a sphincter.

What I have seen hunting here in Georgia, for more years than many of you are old is, People take dog out to the country and drop them off..They for what ever reason don't take the time, to take them to a shelter...They just dump them off..After a time they and their litters turn feral, and learn to kill to hunt and survive. I have walked up on 3 dogs, eating out the south bound side of a live deer..None had collars or tags, but had learned to kill to survive. I put the deer down.

What I have seen hunting here in Georgia, for more years than many of you are old is, People take dog out to the country and drop them off..They for what ever reason don't take the time, to take them to a shelter...They just dump them off..After a time they and their litters turn feral, and learn to kill to hunt and survive. I have walked up on 3 dogs, eating out the south bound side of a live deer..None had collars or tags, but had learned to kill to survive. I put the deer down.
Yep. Irresponsible owners of dogs and cats make me ill. I can't think of a less humane way to die than of parvo, rabies, whatever, trying to scratch out a living being 100+ generations removed from that ability.

And not that anyone cares about the law but in the off chance someone does....

§ 4-8-5. Performing cruel acts on, or harming, maiming or killing dogs

(a) No person shall perform a cruel act on any dog; nor shall any person harm, maim, or kill any dog, or attempt to do so, except that a person may:

(1) Defend his or her person or property, or the person or property of another, from injury or damage being caused by a dog; or

(2) Kill any dog causing injury or damage to any livestock, poultry, or pet animal.

(b) The method used for killing the dog shall be designed to be as humane as is possible under the circumstances. A person who humanely kills a dog under the circumstances indicated in subsection (a) of this Code section shall incur no liability for such death.

(c) This Code section shall not be construed to limit in any way the authority or duty of any law enforcement officer, dog or rabies control officer, humane society, or veterinarian.

You apparently hang out with the wrong types. Now you know one that most certainly would not and does not. And I'm 6 figures into my hunting expense.
Grabbing a gun and heading to the woods doesn't make you a 'hunter' anymore than standing in the kitchen with a pot makes you a chef.

All the hunters I know are farmers. YOU obviously are not a farmer and have never tried to save any of your livestock after a trashy neighbor allowed his curr to roam and attack his animals.

If YOU are a farmer, what kind and how many head do you own? Me, cows, horses, dogs, chickens and had a goat till it was killed by a neighbor's dog.

Back
Top Bottom