• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thermal hog eradication 14 down

How do you like your SIG 762? I have the same 762TI QD and really like it. With subs it is Hollywood quiet. Are you happy with the thermal setup? That is my next purchase but they are pricey. If you had it to do over would you go the same route? I DO NOT want to make a mistake when I make that purchase. Not having experience with them at all I do not know the prices, what is a good buy and what is not. Is the video recorder built in the thermal? If you have the time and are willing to share some info it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Love the sig can! Sounds really great in an open field.
I started with a thermal monocular and each year upgraded until I got this Reap-ir a few months back. I love the Reap, but it is quite expensive.
To be clear right off the bat I don't sell, endorse, or work for or benefit at all from any dealer, manufacturer etc. this is just my opinion from being involved in the night vision/thermal world as a hunter/gun enthusiast and spending way too much time online reading about the stuff. I have looked through several thermals as well.
That said, IMHO, Quality is going up and prices are coming down. Pulsar is just releasing a couple new lines of thermal scopes. I think they are by far the best value in the industry.
The new Pulsar XQ scopes are a 384 resolution that are replacing the older XD scopes that were also 384 resolution.
Ok, so a year ago the pulsar apex XD38a, and apex XD50a (not to be confused with the Apex XD38 or the XD38s or XD50 or XD50s... the "s" is the same as not having a letter at the end. The "a" is different. It has an LCD screen which is not as good as the LED screen that comes on the "s" or the non "a" line). the XD50a was what many considered the best value in the industry. They were going for about $3500 less than a year ago.
Pulsar just released a new line. The Apex XQ38 (2.1x magnification, 17 micron core, 384 resolution, LED screen - $2500), and the Apex XQ50 (the Apex XQ38 is replacing the older model XD50 and the Apex XQ50 at 2.7x magnification is replacing the the old Apex XD75 "3x magnification"). Im pretty sure they aren't making any new scopes with the "not as good" LCD screen aka "a" models. Confusing I know. Bare with me. The new XQ line models have upgraded from a 25 micron core to a 17 micron (lower micron core is better-- it allows the scope to pull in more information with a smaller lens size which saves money because germanium lens' are expensive). They also all use the better LED screen so no more LCD screens or "a" models. The new Apex XQ38 is a 2x (2.1x) magnification $2500... (the old Apex xd50 and xd50a were the 2x mag).
There is also a new "trail" line. The Trail XQ30 (trail XQ30 replaces the old Apex XD38 at 1.5x zoom but it has all the features of the trail. I don't believe there is a new Apex XQ30), Trail XQ38 and trail XQ50. The trail line has a lot of new features like internal recording, QD mount, wifi to stream directly to a phone/computer, internal battery pack, holds multiple zeros and maybe a couple others.
Also, LRF = laser range finder. Some of these new scopes come with a laser range finder that mounts to the side of the scope.
Also, also, the XP line is the new 640 resolution scope. Pulsar didn't previously make a 640 resolution scope.

So depending on your budget, what magnification you want and what features you want, I would take a hard look at the apex XQ38, Apex XQ50, trail XQ30, trail XQ38, and trail XQ50.

MOre magnification is better for identifying what live creature is what species and better for the initial shot. Less magnification is better for scanning and spotting live creatures and for follow up shots on moving targets. Remember at night u can't really see anything when you're not lookin through the scope. Personally I really like the new xq38. And to me the extra $300 is worth the features you get from the trail line.An external recorder, cord, external battery pack cost over $300 as is. And to me being able to zero one scope on multiple guns with a mount that detached quick and returns to zero within an inch at 100 yards allows me to do a lot more with one scope (I use Bobro QD mounts that return to zero really well with my day optics on my guns and the Reap-ir has 4 preset zeros so I can use it on multiple guns also without having to go back to the range to rezero day scopes/thermal every time I switch them around ).
I also have an order for a new pulsar trail XQ38 on the way. I think it's gonna be the best value and compromise overall for a good while. It won't compare to the image quality of the Reap-IR but it will work fine for night hunting out to 200 yards, as a back up spotter and set up for a guest hunter. Also keep in mind that the view through the lens of the Reap-IR is way better than the video you see. It downgrades quality when putting it on video. The pulsar scopes will do the same thing. I'm told they come with an internal microphone but will require a firmware upgrade at some point when pulsar has the firmware update ready in order to record with sound and that firmware upgrade will also upgrade the video quality when recording. More info below... hope that helps and isn't too jumbled and confusing.

75cf210910eeae7f69b97e5ae3e4adaa.jpg
75cf210910eeae7f69b97e5ae3e4adaa.jpg

http://www.lonestarboars.com/threads/pulsar-new-thermals.6776/#post-78564

Video of pulsar trail XQ38 (recorded with external DVR so it does have sound)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stacking em up like pulp wood.
Shame all that divine swine went to waste...:tsk:

Don't worry, I donated all the meat to the TBPS (turkey buzzard preservation society) Also fed some coyotes, bobcats and other scavengers ;)
No but seriously, hogs are so destructive to agricultural land and they reproduce at such a high rate they're treated like rats. I don't have the time or resources to get all that meat every time. I do keep my freezer full as well as he landowners if he wants. Last time I shot a good sized boar out there, I gutted, skinned and quartered it for the landowners neighbor. I've taken meat home in an ice chest several times for friends that say they want some hog meat also, and u fortunately, more often than not the meat goes bad in my cooler bc they won't come pick it up or don't know what to do with a hind quarter that won't fit in their freezer and I'm stuck with rotting meat, lost time and energy gutting skinning and quartering a hog, money for several days worth of ice and still gotta dispose of the meat and clean out a cooler... it's annoying. Some people don't realize how much time and energy it takes to collect a hog carcass (or multiple), remove the meat, get it on ice, and keep it fresh long enough to get it packaged and in a freezer.

Don't worry, I donated all the meat to the TBPS (turkey buzzard preservation society) Also fed some coyotes, bobcats and other scavengers ;)
No but seriously, hogs are so destructive to agricultural land and they reproduce at such a high rate they're treated like rats. I don't have the time or resources to get all that meat every time. I do keep my freezer full as well as he landowners if he wants. Last time I shot a good sized boar out there, I gutted, skinned and quartered it for the landowners neighbor. I've taken meat home in an ice chest several times for friends that say they want some hog meat also, and u fortunately, more often than not the meat goes bad in my cooler bc they won't come pick it up or don't know what to do with a hind quarter that won't fit in their freezer and I'm stuck with rotting meat, lost time and energy gutting skinning and quartering a hog, money for several days worth of ice and still gotta dispose of the meat and clean out a cooler... it's annoying. Some people don't realize how much time and energy it takes to collect a hog carcass (or multiple), remove the meat, get it on ice, and keep it fresh long enough to get it packaged and in a freezer.

WELL WRITTEN, WELL EXPRESSED, AND MOST OF ALL VERY, VERY, VERY, TRUE, WE HAVE EXPERIENCED THE SAME THING WHEN SOMEONE HAS ASKED US FOR VENISON, TURKEY, HAWG, OH I CAN'T COME GET IT I'M WATCHING TV, ETC...

SO WE ALSO DON'T WORRY WITH OTHERS SINCE WE HAVE HAD MANY TIMES OVER HAD THE SAME RESULTS AS YOURS....

Back
Top Bottom