• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Think I'm getting this trout fishing thing figured out...

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
... at last.

I've caught more trout in the last few weeks than I have in all the years of my life before. It also turns out I have good trout water 9 minutes from my doorstep and never knew it. I've learned to read the river half way well and and have a couple of high confidence lures I'm using. I'm actually expecting to catch fish when I go now. :rockon:

One surprising thing I've discovered is that the lure can be too small. When catching them in relatively slow current a 1/12oz, lure works fine on a light drag, but if there's any real current the hooks pull on a lot of fish. I might get a few missed strikes on 1/8oz lures, but those bigger lures get solid hook ups when they do take it well.

I'm happy and just thought I'd share.

IMG_20190705_080532280_HDR.jpg
throw it upstream. Reel in fast.

Now that you are learning to read the water, take your flyrod. Standing in the middle of a stream with a flyrod is the best therapy I have ever had.
I've thought of it, but I don't think I'm enough of an entomologist to match the hatch well. At least not yet.

I've tried it in years past and have actually managed to catch two trout on the fly, but I'm more of an aggressive fisherman than what fly fishing for trout requires.

I've thought of it, but I don't think I'm enough of an entomologist to match the hatch well. At least not yet.

I've tried it in years past and have actually managed to catch two trout on the fly, but I'm more of an aggressive fisherman than what fly fishing for trout requires.

The Toccoa River is a great place to start. Park at the dam and use a #16 Adams with an indicator and drop a #18-20 pheasant tail nymph below about 18''. This will tell you which way they are looking. I've had 50 fish days there.

But, the biggest 2 rainbows I have caught were on a cone head olive woolly bugger. Try a few different sizes and don't be afraid to use really big ones.

Back
Top Bottom