• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Think Twice Before You Buy Another 1911 Mag

10 year old article . I will stick with my Metalform mags that have proven reliable
I don't think anything revolutionary has happened in the 1911 magazine field in the past 10 years. All the magazines discussed are still big players today. I really appreciate the systematic approach to analyzing the feeding differences of the various mag types. By all means, use what has been reliable for you! I'm sure all these magazine types still feed and function great. To me, its just a refreshing study of the empirical facts rather than a hodgepodge of opinions that we see so much of today.

I don't think anything revolutionary has happened in the 1911 magazine field in the past 10 years. All the magazines discussed are still big players today. I really appreciate the systematic approach to analyzing the feeding differences of the various mag types. By all means, use what has been reliable for you! I'm sure all these magazine types still feed and function great. To me, its just a refreshing study of the empirical facts rather than a hodgepodge of opinions that we see so much of today.

There are guys always working on magazines . No company is going to sit for 10 years with no changes . I have old Colt mags from the 80's They look different than more recent ones . Even if the change was a cost cutting move. Companies rarely leave things alone .Look at other platforms . Technology marches on . Revolutionary no , subtle yes .

I'm certain there have been changes in types of steel and surface treatment. That's the nature of cost effective manufacturing, I get that. There still is only a handful of different feel lip designs and follower types. This article just gives the pros and cons of each.

I use WC for most any standard usage. I have a few Chip mags and at least two factory mags per 1911 I own.

I have found the WC to be the most reliable mags. The Chip mags have had more issues in my guns.

Been researching 9mm 1911 mags and so far the recommendations are Wilson ETM, Tripp, Chip McCormick and Metalform. I'll have to get one of each to test to see what my Kimber likes but geez those Wilson ETM mags are $50 a piece.

My personal preference is Wilson Combat mags, I do have several older Chip Shooting Star mags but those are strictly range mags. I've carried a Wilson Combat Compact Protector for 18 years, carried other 1911's for years before that and the WC mags have always proven to be the most reliable of any other mag I've ever carried with no malfunctions at all....NONE. Yeah they're more expensive but they're the only 1911 mags I trust with my life and those of my loved ones. When I picked up my Colt XSE Lightweight Govt Model a few years ago the first thing I did was put the two Colt mags back in the Colt case and buy 6 WC mags for it. YMMV

This article had me chasing a dream 8 years ago. That reliable 1911 mags could be had at $11 a pop. Well let's just say I am back at Wilson Combat and now use the ETM.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom