• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

UPDATE Thinking about buying a used boat.

As far as center console boats. I like the Carolina skiffs. Nice flat bottom boats for rivers, lakes, marshes, 16-20ft in size pick your poison for a motor and add a Bimini top for some shade . Bingo.
That's a similar hull design to the last bigger boat I had. It was a 20 foot and, man, if I tried to run in almost any kind of chop it would beat you to death.

Even deep V boats really don't draft that much. An 18 foot CC deep V will typically only draft a foot to a foot and a half and they are a lot better at cutting through swells.

I've got a John Boat for smaller lakes and the yak is always an option if I'm alone. In fact, I'll be able to transport the yak in the CC if I want to use it in otherwise inaccessible areas.

Words to live by right there. Used boats are just someone else’s problems.
They say the same thing about used cars. I've bought one new vehicle in my life. Never again. Not even if I won the lottery. I just can't stand losing that much value that quickly. Same deal with a boat.

Do your homework, have a qualified mechanic check it out and you save a crap ton of money.

My 1st rule for tying up a tiddy sum of cash in a boat is to live on the water or close enough to smell it. I know a guy in Stienhatchee who charters if want to fish Salt water. I'd rather pay him than pay for the boat

My 1st rule for tying up a tiddy sum of cash in a boat is to live on the water or close enough to smell it. I know a guy in Stienhatchee who charters if want to fish Salt water. I'd rather pay him than pay for the boat
I'm 35 minutes from my ramp at Lanier. I'll store the boat about a mile away from that ramp. I already Striper fish from my yak, but want to have more versatility.

As for salt water, I go a week at a time. A couple of weeks of good charters would cost damn near as much as the boat. I've also been very disappointed with the vast majority of charters I've taken.

My neighbor has a deep v bass tracker that is covered and never moves. He has said more than once he needs to sell it. Not rigged for salt water tho

They say the same thing about used cars. I've bought one new vehicle in my life. Never again. Not even if I won the lottery. I just can't stand losing that much value that quickly. Same deal with a boat.

Do your homework, have a qualified mechanic check it out and you save a crap ton of money.
Used cars generally don’t sit for months...years at a time. Parts and mechanics are plentiful whereas boats they are not.

I was going to spend 12 grand on a boat a few years ago. The. I figured out how many times 12 grand would rent a bit not counting the extra money I would be out on storage and maintenance.

I rent boats now. Much cheaper.

I’ve got a 21.5’ chaparral ski/fish with the Yamaha outboard. Handles way better than a deep v. I originally was going to buy a robalo cc deep v. After demoing both back to back, I went with the chap. Rode 100xs better.

Campers prolly a lot like a boat. No way I would ever buy a new camper.. always something to repair on one. I love my camper. You Tube vids have been a big help

Back
Top Bottom