• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thinking about getting a 1st suppressor.

Now you're learning Chicken Hawk!

Thanks,

Yes, just found this: Short version- if filing Individual you need to Will all NFA items to family and they can, through Form 5, transfer tax-free all NFA items.

If you have a Gun Trust you can elect beneficiaries/Co-Trustees and upon your death, they will automatically take sole possession of your NFA items without the need to go through the will. However, even with the Gun Trust, the beneficiaries will still need to submit a Form 5.

this info is per the esilencer shops website.

So, it sounds like I can appoint friends or family as beneficiaries if I go the Trust route.... where it's unclear if I file individually if I can make a Specific Devise and Will my items to friends.... or if I'm limited to family only.

Y'all the absolute best route is to buy H heavyd trust then submit as a trust. I don't think it's true that trust are taking any longer. Also, wait times are down right now anyways. My last few stamps I received outside my SOT took 7 months. That's the quickest I've ever gotten any. Most of the others were close to a year and a half.

Also, silencershop checks over your paperwork and atf is used to getting and approving those. Silencershop is the best way in my biased opinion.

Y'all the absolute best route is to buy H heavyd trust then submit as a trust. I don't think it's true that trust are taking any longer. Also, wait times are down right now anyways. My last few stamps I received outside my SOT took 7 months. That's the quickest I've ever gotten any. Most of the others were close to a year and a half.

Also, silencershop checks over your paperwork and atf is used to getting and approving those. Silencershop is the best way in my biased opinion.
3 months after check cashed on my last one...kinda waiting on the other shoe to drop. have 2 pending...

As mentioned above, the trust doesn't really do anything for inheritance, since that's already covered under the law.

The only real benefit of a trust these days is that other people that want to use the NFA item(s) and are in the trust can do that without you being present. Say your kid wanted to take the can to the range but you couldn't go.

The downside is the requirement that every 'responsible person' on the trust needs to submit a fingerprint card and a photo with each form. If it's you and close friends/family that's not a huge issue. For me the two folks are both out of state, and coordinating that is way too much of a hassle.

Also, unlike before where NFA branch seemed to simply take a quick peek at a trust they'd seen before to see if anything changed, now each one goes through full legal review.

At least this is what I have heard in several interviews with lawyers who have worked with ATF/NFA over the last couple of years. That's why trust paperwork is taking months longer than individual paperwork these days.

So unless you are sharing your NFA items with other trust members, there's no real reason to even bother with them these days. Everything I've done since 41F has been individual, although pre-41F stuff is still in the trust, and that's where it will stay. No point in moving it, I'll just have the trust stuff and the individual stuff, and that'll be that.

I went trust the first time. After that I did not. I was told approve times are faster when you don’t use trust. It was by three months. you can always add them to the trust later.

The downside is the requirement that every 'responsible person' on the trust needs to submit a fingerprint card and a photo with each form. If it's you and close friends/family that's not a huge issue. For me the two folks are both out of state, and coordinating that is way too much of a hassle.

That's technically true but you really don't have to do that. There's a page you add to the end of your trust that removes everyone from your trust. Then when you get your stamp you throw that page in the trash and they are all magically back on.

As mentioned above, the trust doesn't really do anything for inheritance, since that's already covered under the law.

The only real benefit of a trust these days is that other people that want to use the NFA item(s) and are in the trust can do that without you being present. Say your kid wanted to take the can to the range but you couldn't go.

Also, unlike before where NFA branch seemed to simply take a quick peek at a trust they'd seen before to see if anything changed, now each one goes through full legal review.

At least this is what I have heard in several interviews with lawyers who have worked with ATF/NFA over the last couple of years. That's why trust paperwork is taking months longer than individual paperwork these days.

So unless you are sharing your NFA items with other trust members, there's no real reason to even bother with them these days. Everything I've done since 41F has been individual, although pre-41F stuff is still in the trust, and that's where it will stay. No point in moving it, I'll just have the trust stuff and the individual stuff, and that'll be that.
Things must have changed when I actually did my trust for my AAC can. None of the trustees listed had to provide finger prints. I had the provide full information on them, but it didn't include finger printing.

Back
Top Bottom