• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thinking about reloading

MMatt30

Default rank <5000 posts
Hey.....pull my finger.
24   0
Reaction score
Well guys I think I am about to purchase one of those Lee Classic Loaders.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1291650222.5015=/html/catalog/cleeloader.html

I know that this is going to be very slow and labor intensive but I don't want to jump headfirst into anything yet. I'll probably graduate to something more advanced later. I learned a little about reloading from my shooting/hunting mentor about 15 years ago. However, it has been years and I have forgot a good bit about it.

Anyway the plan is to get one in .38 Special which should be a good round to start with. These will be fired out of a 4 inch K frame .357 Mag.

I eventually plan to load .30-06 for a M1 Garand, .223 for an AR, and I would like to load for 12 gauge as well. I would like to load some non-toxic loads of my own for waterfowl hunting.

Matt, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Lee Classic Loader. Aside from price, it's best attribute is portability. And it certainly can be used as a very basic learning tool.

However, to dip your toe in the water, a single stage press and a set of dies is about $30 more, is much more convienent to use when in a home/workshop/garage, and will give you a much better feel for what a typical reloading process is. I'd strongly recommend you get yourself the little Lee Reloader C-press and a set of Lee 38/357 dies.

In fact, I recommend you get this press/manual combo, which comes with Lee's Modern Reloading book. You'll need a reloading guide with some basic info and loads, and the Modern Reloading book fits the bill.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduc...Reloading Presses-_-PriceCompListing-_-480380

As a bonus, that little press is also quite portable. I used one many times, clamped to a shooting bench, for load development right at the range. If you get heavily into reloading and upgrade to better gear, you will always find a use for that little Lee press. They are incredibly handy to have around the loading bench.

EDIT: Sorry, one other tool you will need if you go with a the Lee Reloader press: Some sort of priming tool, either hand held, or the one that Lee makes that mounts in place of a reloading die (Lee Ram Prime).

Last edited:
+1 on skipping the Lee classic loaders. Not because they are inferior, but because I promise you will soon be adding other calibers once you take the jump into reloading.

I actually have the Lee hand press which is uber-portable. I use it for target loads in 223 and 308 and it is perfect in terms of accuracy and convenience. You use the same dies as a bench press. It's not high output, but I'm only spitting out max 50 rounds at each time.

Matt, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Lee Classic Loader. Aside from price, it's best attribute is portability. And it certainly can be used as a very basic learning tool.

However, to dip your toe in the water, a single stage press and a set of dies is about $30 more, is much more convienent to use when in a home/workshop/garage, and will give you a much better feel for what a typical reloading process is. I'd strongly recommend you get yourself the little Lee Reloader C-press and a set of Lee 38/357 dies.

In fact, I recommend you get this press/manual combo, which comes with Lee's Modern Reloading book. You'll need a reloading guide with some basic info and loads, and the Modern Reloading book fits the bill.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduc...Reloading Presses-_-PriceCompListing-_-480380

As a bonus, that little press is also quite portable. I used one many times, clamped to a shooting bench, for load development right at the range. If you get heavily into reloading and upgrade to better gear, you will always find a use for that little Lee press. They are incredibly handy to have around the loading bench.

EDIT: Sorry, one other tool you will need if you go with a the Lee Reloader press: Some sort of priming tool, either hand held, or the one that Lee makes that mounts in place of a reloading die (Lee Ram Prime).

++++++1

I would look on E-bay....lot's of people inherit these from family members, not knowing what there worth will put rediculiously low buy it now prices, as I got my first reloading press(a Hornady),with everything I needed but the brass & bullets shipped to my door for 100bucks!!! that included 2 sets of rifle dies, about 150 primers & 2 lbs of powder!!!!

Back
Top Bottom