• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thinking bout raising rabbits for food

Rabbits are good. What's not to like? They die pretty easily, you can almost skin them with bare hands and there is zero fat on them.

I have hunted them and eaten them a good bit. Taste just fine. In fact when I was in Japan 97/98 they served "field rabbit" in the galley, baked on the cookie sheet all lined up neat and tidy. They were ok then too.

More power to you. I couldn't do it. I mean I could shoot a wild rabbit in the woods for food and be good with that. But I couldn't raise the furry little bastards and then kill them. That's just as long as socjsoc holds up though. In a Walking Dead type of scenario I could probably raise cats,rabb rab,pigs or midgets for food.

That right there is a classic ODT signature line if I ever saw one!

Ive had some for a couple years. Havent eat any, got them for my disabled wife who lost interest. They are easy to raise but there are a few things to learn to keep them healthy. Mine are in a homemade cage under a tree in the back yard and Ive only smelled them a few times in the hot summer out at the cage. The poop is great fertilizer or a worm bed. If interested I can tell you what I know and may be into selling mine, the whole set up. PM me and I'll give you my contact info.

We have raised rabbits for meat for years. It’s not hard and can provide a lot of meat for the money and time invested. There are tons of ways to use the meat, hides, bones. And the manure is a cold manure which means it can be used as a fertilizer right away with out composting (or you can still compost it if you want). Housing does not need to be complicated, but it is best to keep all of your breeding stock caged separately. Always bring th buck to he die for breeding or may end up with a castrated buck. I highly recommend the Silver Fox breed. They are not the cheapest and are not the easiest to find but their production rates mixed with their temperament makes them the best option in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom