• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thinking of getting a RV. Input, thoughts, comments and intelligent grunts welcome.

LTE

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
Firearms/Accessories Dealer
16   0
Reaction score
Wife wants to get a small RV to go to state parks in the southeast. I say I'm ok with that but she wants a popup trailer but I think something a little more substantial would be nicer and more comfortable. I'm thinking about a 20 foot RV is plenty. I told her if we got one, I would want it to have a bathroom so we don't have to use the park facilities.

Any input from you guys that have or had one. Things you liked, disliked, brands you preferred etc.

Get one that’s permanently up
And has a nice shower and toilet
And a queen size bed

Doesn’t have to be huge
Mrs Roundhouse and I lived in a 16 foot airstream for three months
Air streams suck for living in
All the rounded corners cost you a lot of space

I lived in a 18 foot normal camper for several months by myself
Wasn’t bad at all
It was a bunkhouse type
Big bathroom with shower and four bunk beds in the back

If you’re handy with tools you could build a better trailer than you can buy

Most campers are very fragile and poorly assembled

I work with a lot of cargo trailers that have water treatment systems installed inside and a cargo trailer is far more sturdy than a camper

And the suggestion to rent is a valid one

A couple trips in a couple different kinds and sizes of trailers will be way cheaper than buying one you don’t like or wish had a different floor plan

I've had it all 4 ways over the years, tent camp, travel trailer, motor home and hotel. They all have advantages and disadvantages so it depends on what you and the family really want out of your time away from home. The advice to rent before buying something is sound. Especially in these times, being able to sleep in your own bed instead of a hotel bed that may or may not be clean is worth a lot.

Consider a hybrid. Hard sides and fold out tent ends. The best of both worlds. If you are traveling and just sleeping for one night, you can leave it "turtled" up.

Back
Top Bottom