• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thinking of getting a RV. Input, thoughts, comments and intelligent grunts welcome.

I rented a motorhome every year for about 10 years to take the family on vacation. We enjoyed it a lot. Once you learn the locations of the campgrounds and service stations where you can dump your sewage, it is a breeze. I came close to buying one and putting it into the rental market through the dealer. They would rent it out, maintain it, and take care of the insurance from the rental profits. I would get the rest of the money after expenses.

HDD

I have owned a 13 foot pull behind followed by probably the largest pop up you can buy, then a 10 foot box pop up. I now have a 22” Palimino Puma. I like it more than anything else I have owned. I am camping with the wife and two kids. We have enough room if we get rained in. The bathroom is big enough to comfortably shower in. It is easy to pull and back in. The larger pop up had a bathroom and shower but it was so small it was nearly impossible to shower in there. It is nice having a bathroom so you don’t have to get out of bed and walk to the bath house. A pull behind is also much better for year round camping. Just my 2 cents.

I had a 29 foot pull behind, it sucked on gas so I hardly used it except during moves while looking for housing and for guest when they came over to the house. Somebody decided they needed it more than me and stole it from my storage lot back in Sept. My next one is going to be a Class A so I can use it more for matches.

Renting is a good option. the good thing about having your own versus a hotel is if you have pets, you won't have to worry about boarding them or paying extra at hotels

Consider a truck camper. We have been all over the country in the last 2 years in ours, and also used it to spend a week parked at West Point.

IMG_7334.JPG
vg.jpg
m1.jpg
IMG_9210.JPG
IMG_2013.JPG
IMG_2334.JPG

Wife wants to get a small RV to go to state parks in the southeast. I say I'm ok with that but she wants a popup trailer but I think something a little more substantial would be nicer and more comfortable. I'm thinking about a 20 foot RV is plenty. I told her if we got one, I would want it to have a bathroom so we don't have to use the park facilities.

Any input from you guys that have or had one. Things you liked, disliked, brands you preferred etc.

Had a pop up years ago when I had a small tow vehicle and limited space to store it. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but:

* You can’t load it with provisions and clothing unless you raise it
* Every time you use it in the rain, you get soaked setting it up and the beds get soaked when extending them
* Every time you come home from a wet camping trip, you have to set it up a few days to dry it out
* If you’re camping in cold weather, you get cold while sleeping since the beds are extended in open air and the cold air circulates beneath you.

Other than those points we liked it, but sold it after a year and went back to tent camping. When we retire, we plan on getting a 19’-22’ self-contained.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom