• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thinking of getting my first suppressor

Deleted member 79987

Default rank 5000+ posts
Good enough for government work
79   0
Reaction score
What do you more experienced guys like? I mainly shoot 9mm -- doubtful I'll ever go back to .45 so I'm leaning toward getting a 9mm can for my Sig.

Is noise reduction rating the ONLY thing you consider? I've heard cleaning them can be a you-know-what. What else draws you to one can over another?

The other day I stopped by Bullseye in L'ville and it's kind of overwhelming looking at all the choices... any tips appreciated!

IMG_1859.jpg
IMG_1860.jpg
IMG_1861.jpg

9mm is cheaper and quieter.

45 is nice if you want to pack a bigger subsonic punch.

I still think you’ll want a 45 can so that you can use it on various other caliber ranging up to 45 caliber.

Also I would pic a well known manufacturer so the can you may need repaired or serviced can actually be serviced because the company will still exist years from now (looking at you hunter town arms)

I used to think everything should be stainless or titanium but my aluminum baffles stuffs cleans up fine with a rotary tumbler and or ultrasonic cleaning.

I like cans with hefty caliber ratings because you may find yourself wanting to suppress weird stuff like 44magnum, 45-70, 357 mag, 300 blk, etc

The modular stuff is cool for when you want to switch between shorter but slightly louder set ups and longer/quieter set ups

I like my TiRant 9 but was looking at getting an Octane 9HD by Silencerco. They are great cans. I brought a Osprey 9 as well but I don't think I've shot it yet. definitely get a .22 can though. They are great .

If I was in the market for another pistol suppressor right now, Rugged Obsidian 45 would be at the top of my list. Well built, good materials, modular, and suppresses well. You can shoot 45acp down in it and expect good results. 45 can will be quiet a lot of times than a 9mm can due to the extra volume in the suppressor.
A few things to consider when looking at a pistol can. How hard are the pistons to get for different thread/calibers and what do they cost. How hard is it to take apart and clean (centerfire pistol doesn't require a lot of cleaning like a 22lr can). Will the company be around next year in case you have an issue. Total weight of suppressor including any mounts. There are more; but these should get you thinking.
http://www.quietriotfirearms.com/product_p/ruggedobsidian.htm

I have lots of cans. If I was starting out today, the first two I would get would be the Dead Air Mask .22, and the Dead Air Odessa 9. Being able to see your sights without installing 'suppressor' sights was a big deal to me, so I've enjoyed the Osprey. Sound reduction is overrated, imo, compared to general usability and light weight.

I would also suggest you try to shoot a few different ones if you haven't already. A lot of us have no issue letting someone try out a can if we are with them. I've done this at the range with people inquiring on what I'm shooting.

You won't be able to stop with one.

Knowing what I know now, I would have put more weight in the weight. I primarily looked at quality/durability and noise reduction. Pay attention to weight. I'm very pleased with my 30 cal can but it's a tank.

Picking a suppressor is a very painful process. I say just get the Obsidian 45, it’s got a lot of fans, and you’re not going to be disappointed. You’re going to get more suppressors anyways, yes it will happen! With the Obsidian you get both a short and long configuration, which like most you will just leave in the long configuration, but you don’t have to wonder if you would prefer a shorter/louder can. And you can use it on 45 if you want, but it sounds great on 9mm. They’ve got a great promotion right now too.

Back
Top Bottom