• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

This is what happens when you don't use cheap oil

I had the opportunity to drive a series 3, a great car but the series one was the best and most sought after..great ride!

They were all excellent cars but the later v12 versions were much heavier and had emissions controls that greatly reduced the power. The early series I cars with the 3.8L straight 6 were basically endurance race cars with turn signals and a license plate. At only 2200lbs with 265hp it's a lot of fun to drive.

My dad has a '64 Series I E-type. It is hands down the best car that I have ever driven. Nothing can possibly compare to the way an E-type lets you connect with the car and feel the road

That sounds very nice.

I was probably painting with a broad brush when I mentioned that all British cars are crap.

I should have just said that the only British cars I ever worked on were crap.

I'm sure there are some very nice high-end cars out there. That does seem like a nice model.

That sounds very nice.

I was probably paining with a broad brush when I mentioned that all British cars are crap.

I should have just said that the only British cars I ever worked on were crap.

I'm sure there are some very nice high-end cars out there. That does seem like a nice model.

Haha no there is definitely a grain of truth in what you said. Vintage British cars are definitely not for people that don't like working on cars. As much as the Jaguar E-Type is a mechanical work of art, it is also the biggest pain in the ass of any car that I have ever worked on. Every component is buried behind other components and even routine maintenance can often take hours. It's amazing how many opportunities British engineer's gave to their designs to leak oil. And God help you if you ever have trouble with Lucas electrical systems. But it's also a labor of love.

I used Slick 50 in a perfectly good low miles 84 Olympic edition Buick T type and spun all main bearings...trashed a rare car..
DuPont made much mula on that PTFE hype and caused a lot of bearing failures as a result. I was a certified Mercury Marine master tech in the late 70’s /80’s and saw many marine engines with totaled lower ends with some form of PTFE caked and burned into rod and main bearing metal. Commercials with race car drivers and pretty women sale product!

DuPont made much mula on that PTFE hype and caused a lot of bearing failures as a result. I was a certified Mercury Marine master tech in the late 70’s /80’s and saw many marine engines with totaled lower ends with some form of PTFE caked and burned into rod and main bearing metal. Commercials with race car drivers and pretty women sale product!

Dang. Glad I never bought into that hype.

I remember asking my car expert uncle about Slick 50 at the time and he said it was a ripoff.

Not sure how he knew, but looks like he was right.

Back
Top Bottom