• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

This is what happens when you don't use cheap oil

Yes changing it regularly is a huge part of the equation. However synthetic oil has many benefits that conventional oil does not. It has better cling properties so there is more of it still on the moving parts of the engine when you first start it (which is where 99% of the engine wear comes from). It doesn't degrade nearly as fast under heat. If something does go wrong with the engine that causes it to overheat, synthetic oil might be the difference between saving the engine and needing a rebuild. Also, you can get 10k miles between oil changes with synthetic oil.

Was gonna ask how often you change it, so I'm assuming every 10K? Filter every 10K as well?

Yes changing it regularly is a huge part of the equation. However synthetic oil has many benefits that conventional oil does not. It has better cling properties so there is more of it still on the moving parts of the engine when you first start it (which is where 99% of the engine wear comes from). It doesn't degrade nearly as fast under heat. If something does go wrong with the engine that causes it to overheat, synthetic oil might be the difference between saving the engine and needing a rebuild. Also, you can get 10k miles between oil changes with synthetic oil.

I used it on my first new Silverado I bought years ago. It had around 260k when I finally sold it. I could have bought a new Chevy small block for what I spent on Mobile 1 in that truck.

So I run a fleet of about 80 vehicles. We switched to synthetic and now go 10k. So many services and therefore cash saved. I only do 7500 in my stop and go vehicles but for the vast majority 10k is where we bring them in. It's not just the oil we worry about either so no further than that but its worked great so far.

So I run a fleet of about 80 vehicles. We switched to synthetic and now go 10k. So many services and therefore cash saved. I only do 7500 in my stop and go vehicles but for the vast majority 10k is where we bring them in. It's not just the oil we worry about either so no further than that but its worked great so far.

There is no doubt synthetics offer more protection for a longer time. A lot of guys in here are to young to remember the old Quaker state oils. They added paraffin to the oil and man could you tell who used that junk when you cracked open an engine. Just a terrible blend. But the modern conventional
oils have come a long way over the last 30 years or so. All of mine that run conventional have looked like new the few times I've had valve covers or intakes off. In usually change them around 5500 miles or so.

Back
Top Bottom