• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

This is what happens when you don't use cheap oil

They're topped off daily and have scheduled filter changes only.
An exception might be a component failure and have to break into system.
odd, when I was a crew chief on C130s we changed the oils periodically, I don’t remember the frequency. Based on hours not miles.

That’s BS.

I use synthetic in everything I own. Change my oil in the international at 20k even thoughts it’s supposed to be 25+k

Got 950k on it now and don’t expect major engine problems til 1.5mil.

Freakin DPF system on the other hand:frusty:
Actually in older cars seals would leak, but most of those have been crushed by now

Actually in older cars seals would leak, but most of those have been crushed by now

My 1958 MGA takes synthetic oil without any problems. Actually it leaks less than it did with conventional oil. Vintage British sports cars are not known for their great oil seals though.

Ever had that problem, and I switched way back in the day. If it leaked before it would still leak maybe worse on real thin syn, if not I didn’t see new leaks. Now that max life stuff would stop some from leaking.

odd, when I was a crew chief on C130s we changed the oils periodically, I don’t remember the frequency. Based on hours not miles.
Well what else did we have to do besides drink, smoke, and chase tail??? :usa2:

We did the same on Huey PT6.
Military did a lot of things different.

My 1958 MGA takes synthetic oil without any problems. Actually it leaks less than it did with conventional oil. Vintage British sports cars are not known for their great oil seals though.
Ever had that problem, and I switched way back in the day. If it leaked before it would still leak maybe worse on real thin syn, if not I didn’t see new leaks. Now that max life stuff would stop some from leaking.
Glad you guys have been lucky, most had a different experience

I will just say this..there isn't a whole lota difference now days conventional or synthetic ..mostly hype until you get into the Redline/Royal purple/Amsoil territory..I will break in a motor with conventional...and then swap to royal purple after 1000 miles of running easy on it or after three dyno pulls. As far as in street / fleet trucks, I have run conventional oil in my HD2500 truck 250k and still clean as a whistle.

the older vehicles needed a zinc component not present in new oils as well as synthetics these days. It was to help with friction on flat tappet cams as well as Babbitt bearings. It is very possible that in classic cars may be doing damage internally.

Back
Top Bottom