• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

This is what happens when you don't use cheap oil

Wow!

Miracles can happen!!

I have a friend who has (not just one but 2) MB Bs, and those damned things are horrible. I've tried to help him here and there, but he doesn't live close anymore. Doesn't help that he's not mechanically inclined.

My issue with those cars is their design. The carbs, for example. It's like someone over in Britain said "chaps, we all know that a carb just mixes air and fuel. It's dead-bang simple. Let us endeavour design a device which does that stuff (poorly) and does it in the most bass-ackward way possible."

Brits are definitely not known for good engineering.
if they are garaged and pampered..my Dad has a 76 with 50k miles ..battery tender and no moisture..runs like a top!

Just curious.

What finally failed?
Not sure. I just know it died one day about 30 or more miles from home. When I turned the key it would just make that clicking buzzing noise like it couldn't engage or turn the flywheel. It seemed like the engine just locked up. I guess it could've been the timing belt but I looked under the plastic cover and it seemed tight.

What about filters? Seems they have recently changed to be more eco friendly. Plastic cage instead of steel.

My owners manual recommends filter changes every other oil change. Sure extreme operating conditions dictate more frequently but any of you high mileage operators ever practice this?
As for oil with zinc, I still have 5 unopened gals of shell rotella T anyone can use it.
Wix

Wow!

Miracles can happen!!

I have a friend who has (not just one but 2) MB Bs, and those damned things are horrible. I've tried to help him here and there, but he doesn't live close anymore. Doesn't help that he's not mechanically inclined.

My issue with those cars is their design. The carbs, for example. It's like someone over in Britain said "chaps, we all know that a carb just mixes air and fuel. It's dead-bang simple. Let us endeavour design a device which does that stuff (poorly) and does it in the most bass-ackward way possible."

Brits are definitely not known for good engineering.

Not to mention the positive ground electrical system. My dad had a MGB when I was growing up. I learned how to work on cars wrenching on that car.

It’s why I pay people to change my oil now.

What about filters? Seems they have recently changed to be more eco friendly. Plastic cage instead of steel.

My owners manual recommends filter changes every other oil change. Sure extreme operating conditions dictate more frequently but any of you high mileage operators ever practice this?
As for oil with zinc, I still have 5 unopened gals of shell rotella T anyone can use it.

I have never in my life heard of anyone only changing the oil filter every other change. Always every change.

Back
Top Bottom