• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

This makes you want to go grab a baton and stand there with him

I was just at a lawyer's continuing education conference earlier today, and they talked about how those mean nasty white Southern men used to lynch blacks and beat up civil rights marchers and murder the voter-registration volunteers. I was thinking, "Ok, but that was 55 years ago. HOw about talking about AntiFa and the modern violence that the left offers?"

Then they talked about NAZI Germany, and how Trump, like Hitler, manipulated the media and offered propaganda instead of real news, and back in Germany during WWII these right-wing nationalist ideas caused the Holocaust and many millions of deaths. And again, I was thinking. "Yeah, that happened 75 years ago. So why are we talking about this now, at a seminar for Georgia lawyers who might have to deal with First Amendment issues and the intersection of criminal law with constitutional rights? (German people never had any constitutional rights-- when they weren't ruled by an absolute monarch, the "constitution" only addressed the structure of government and the administrative procedures for making laws. Nothing about individual rights. So whatever person or group had the power to make the law was basically unrestricted, and could go as far as they wanted. No judicial review of the executive branch's or legislative branch's actions). I was thinking, "how is this history lesson about the Brownshirts smashing glass windows of Jews' homes and businesses supposed to make me a better lawyer in 2019, when the only real violence to be found in political expression today comes from the extremist left?"

Finally, at the end of the seminar, they made up a hypothetical that was something similar to antifa, but a lost nicer, kinder, and with the best of intentions. They were militant vegans who wanted to tear down the statue of a cow at a university that was founded as a agricultural college and still taught future farmers and meat industry managers about raising cattle for food. Those vegetarians were noisy, but didn't smash anybody's head with bicycle locks, didn't burn down any buildings, didn't flip over cars, didn't throw rocks or bricks, didn't carry baseball bats or wear helmets at their "public demonstration." And, in the end, all the lawyers who spoke / taught pretty much agreed that there was nothing any of us could do to interfere with their right to protest. Even if the protest ends with the cow statute being smashed and destroyed by the angry mob.

The liberal-leaning lawyers who taught this seminar didn't have the guts to talk about the real-world violence perpetrated by the New Black Panthers, Islamic fundamentalists, Black Lives Matters rioters, or AntiFa. THe lawyers had to resort to making up some fictional, safe, only mildly annoying left-wing group for their seminar to discuss. But when it came to right-wing violence, they talked in gory detail and showed all the pictures of lynchings and beatings and mass executions of Jews.

I was just at a lawyer's continuing education conference earlier today, and they talked about how those mean nasty white Southern men used to lynch blacks and beat up civil rights marchers and murder the voter-registration volunteers. I was thinking, "Ok, but that was 55 years ago. HOw about talking about AntiFa and the modern violence that the left offers?"

Then they talked about NAZI Germany, and how Trump, like Hitler, manipulated the media and offered propaganda instead of real news, and back in Germany during WWII these right-wing nationalist ideas caused the Holocaust and many millions of deaths. And again, I was thinking. "Yeah, that happened 75 years ago. So why are we talking about this now, at a seminar for Georgia lawyers who might have to deal with First Amendment issues and the intersection of criminal law with constitutional rights? (German people never had any constitutional rights-- when they weren't ruled by an absolute monarch, the "constitution" only addressed the structure of government and the administrative procedures for making laws. Nothing about individual rights. So whatever person or group had the power to make the law was basically unrestricted, and could go as far as they wanted. No judicial review of the executive branch's or legislative branch's actions). I was thinking, "how is this history lesson about the Brownshirts smashing glass windows of Jews' homes and businesses supposed to make me a better lawyer in 2019, when the only real violence to be found in political expression today comes from the extremist left?"

Finally, at the end of the seminar, they made up a hypothetical that was something similar to antifa, but a lost nicer, kinder, and with the best of intentions. They were militant vegans who wanted to tear down the statue of a cow at a university that was founded as a agricultural college and still taught future farmers and meat industry managers about raising cattle for food. Those vegetarians were noisy, but didn't smash anybody's head with bicycle locks, didn't burn down any buildings, didn't flip over cars, didn't throw rocks or bricks, didn't carry baseball bats or wear helmets at their "public demonstration." And, in the end, all the lawyers who spoke / taught pretty much agreed that there was nothing any of us could do to interfere with their right to protest. Even if the protest ends with the cow statute being smashed and destroyed by the angry mob.

The liberal-leaning lawyers who taught this seminar didn't have the guts to talk about the real-world violence perpetrated by the New Black Panthers, Islamic fundamentalists, Black Lives Matters rioters, or AntiFa. THe lawyers had to resort to making up some fictional, safe, only mildly annoying left-wing group for their seminar to discuss. But when it came to right-wing violence, they talked in gory detail and showed all the pictures of lynchings and beatings and mass executions of Jews.
And you didn't stand up and say a dam thang?

I was just at a lawyer's continuing education conference earlier today

Did you have to pay to sit thru that crap? Do you have a chance to give feedback on the course? I'd give them an earful (or an eyeful).

Unfortunately, what you experienced is a microcosm of what's taking place in institutions of higher learning. They're cramming that Three Card Monty syllabus down the throats of young adults, who are then heading out into the world, ill equipped to deal with reality, because they weren't taught reality.

Did you call them out on it?

Back
Top Bottom