• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on .44 mag

I got a 29-3 . A lot of folks don't like camo. It's held up good for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 16
+1 on the rubber grips. I love the look and feel of wood
but with high end magnum loads the rubber helps much.
I like the Pachmayr without the finger grooves, I have had both types but I like the bigger grip. 8 3/8'' is not a bad barrel length either unless you plan on concealed carry. The long barrel helps shot loads perform well too.
Get one . You'll love it.

Rubber grips give them a running start stick with wood

The 44 Magnum in a large gun like a Model 29 or Red hawk is very comfortable to shoot. Not like the SW 500 at all. More like the 'push' you get from a 45 ACP, but on steroids.

Ammo is usually pretty reasonable too, especially reloads from places like GA Arms & Ammo or LAX Ammo. I know a lot of people say that you can buy 'cheap 44 Special, but I've never found any that wasn't the same price as the Magnum. Economies of scale at a guess.

You will pay a hefty price for a -2 though unless you find one all rusted out or that someone refinished or bubba'd somehow. Those older ones are super collectible.

One note... If you have large hands the 29 can be a knuckle-buster. You can usually fix that by swapping grips around, but check to make sure you don't have a knuckle up against the back of the trigger guard when you find one you like. If you do talk them down a bit since you'll be wanting to change out those stocks.

[QUOTE="Shalashaska523, post: 7951282, I don’t hunt much (never shown “how”).[/QUOTE]

Have you asked anyone to "show you how"? You are in a great area for hunting, both bow and gun............ just sayin'. If you are interested, ask. Don' wait to be asked.

Back
Top Bottom