• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on buying new Guns and "the Form"

Rommel

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
43   0
Reaction score
WARNING: I just really want to put this out there and see if someone can possibly offer me some insight here. I would like to state that should this turn into a debate I, the OP, as well as all others are entitled to his/her own opinion. The purpose of this thread is not to create a "stirring session" but hopefully so I (or anyone else) can better understand this viewpoint. With that said replies are much appreciated.

I notice a lot of gun owners seem to prefer to buy used guns primarily for the reason of not having to fill out the "dreaded-form". Now with that said I don't like big bother keeping track of my inventory any more than the next man. But could this reason be mere paranoia or are there some very real threats that single one out when he or she purchases a new weapon and fills out the form?

The reason I ask is generally I tend to just buy new most of the time but often talk to others who "prefer not to" or "will not" purchase a new firearm because of this form.

I mean in all reality if there came a day (and yes I have seen where this did occur during Katrina) where big brother did come knocking at your door, couldn't you possibly just state that you had sold the gun, gifted it, etc.? Or has the wool been pulled over my eyes and there are some very good reasons why some practice this and avoid the form? Again, this is not to create debate. I would consider myself a responsible citizen and with that said I mean I like to know what and just why my Government is doing the things that it does. Any insights?

Last edited:
If its glock or S&W I will buy new due to pricing. Others I shop around online and I can usually find a new one for right around what someone wants used.

I don't care about the form. I'm in the Army, my SSN and all my info is all over the world lol.

now TAX can kill a local gun shop deal fast

I buy used because I just like to know the fact that I have firearms that people dont know I have. I figure that If I buy used most of the time, then I can hand over the small ammount of firarms that they do know about. I will also toss them some small lead nuggets ;)

The form doesn't bother me at all. Heck i buy most of my guns new anyway because I am to impatient to wait for one to show up on here most of the time. Well that and all the guns on here seem to be HOURS away from me!

Thanks for the fast replies everyone. I definitely understand the retail and tax issue, I was just wondering why the fear of filling out the form. Wow two moderators and the owner, woo-hoo, look at me go! :)

I buy used because I just like to know the fact that I have firearms that people dont know I have. I figure that If I buy used most of the time, then I can hand over the small ammount of firarms that they do know about. I will also toss them some small lead nuggets ;)

So do you subscribe to the theory that big brother may one day go door to door? I will admit that I think about this sometimes, but who's to say one couldn't just state that they had sold it, lost the paperwork, etc.?

Back
Top Bottom