• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on crossbows

lostgeorge75

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
P&Y doesn't allow crossbows and state they shouldn't be allowed during bow seasons.

I've used a recurve, compound and crossbow. I could care less but I was curious what other bowhunters thought.

I used to only hunt with a bow and finally got a crossbow several years ago. I've had on and off shoulder problems and this year I may only get to hunt with the crossbow. I have no problem with crossbows being used during bow season but there is no doubt in my mind that it's exponentionaly easier for me to take a deer with my crossbow as opposed to my traditional compound or recurve bows. Crossbow is not as easy as a firearm but I don't feel nearly as disadvantaged with a crossbow. Better sighting, longer effective range, faster projectile, less movement required, etc. I can certainly understand and can support them not accepting deer taken with the crossbow.

I've killed deer with a recurve, compound and crossbow. I've enjoyed each one just as much as the others and would not discourage the use of a crossbow at all. Some folks aren't able to pull a bow back and a crossbow is their only choice. Others may lack the skill needed to use a compound or recurve proficiently. If a crossbow gets them in the woods during archery season I say go for it.
As far as P&Y is concerned, I wouldn't worry about that.

Back
Top Bottom