• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on diesel engine cars

sparked1

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
205   0
Reaction score
Been thinking about a new SUV for the wife and not really digging the gas mileage on some of these V8 engines. 14MPG is pitiful, but the diesel counterparts are much closer to what I get now out of a V6. The turbo-charged V6 diesels are very appealing as well. For those of you with diesel engines, be it a Volkswagen or a Hemi, are there any downsides versus regular gas? Any considerations I should be taking into account?

In for answers and opinions. I worked at a local VW Audi shop in Macon in 06/07 and that's when I decided I was all out on VW products. But in recent years I have given a lot of thought to a TDI Jetta wagon oreven Beetle. The MPG is close to 50 in some cases. And that would be worth putting up with the weird **** that goes wrong with them.

My only comment is turbo diesels are very popular in europe where fuel prices are significantly higher than the US. Very common to see small saloons with sub 2L turbo 4's that give 60+ mpg, and perform decently.

Diesels rarely need service, but when they do they are more expensive than gassers to work on.

In a shop of, say 20 mechanics, you will be lucky to find 2 that know diesels. Sure, the others can follow the book, but it takes more than flow-chart following to do what they need.

I really like diesels and have own one or another for many years, but I do al my own work on them.

It is a shame mechanical diesels are no longer sold, lots of problems come from the computer controlled systems.

I’ve never looked that much into the mechanical differences between diesel and regular gas engines so I didn’t think there was much difference in terms of maintenance and cost. That’s interesting.

In for answers and opinions. I worked at a local VW Audi shop in Macon in 06/07 and that's when I decided I was all out on VW products. But in recent years I have given a lot of thought to a TDI Jetta wagon oreven Beetle. The MPG is close to 50 in some cases. And that would be worth putting up with the weird **** that goes wrong with them.

Yeah, I would never buy a VW up until a few years ago when their reliability seems to have improved significantly. I have a friend with a TDI Passat and he raves about it. Up until he had to “fix” it, of course, which he claims neutered the performance.

Been thinking about a new SUV for the wife and not really digging the gas mileage on some of these V8 engines. 14MPG is pitiful, but the diesel counterparts are much closer to what I get now out of a V6. The turbo-charged V6 diesels are very appealing as well. For those of you with diesel engines, be it a Volkswagen or a Hemi, are there any downsides versus regular gas? Any considerations I should be taking into account?
I owned a TDI Jetta 2002, 45 per gal sold it buyer says the best-used car he ever bought. 126k and no problems if you do the preventive maint

If you are looking for a van or suv go check out the Mercedes Sprinters. They come in 2 different wheel bases and 3 different roof heights. The short wheel base low roof vans start in the low 30k and the longest and tallest can be had for less than 60k. They also come in 2 and 4 wheel drive.
I have a long wheelbase high roof and I get 23 miles to the gallon on the highway. I bought the van to replace a Chevy Suburban. It was 25k cheaper and gets almost twice the mpg.

Yeah, I would never buy a VW up until a few years ago when their reliability seems to have improved significantly. I have a friend with a TDI Passat and he raves about it. Up until he had to “fix” it, of course, which he claims neutered the performance.
I certainly hope VW has made gains in reliability since 06/07. They used to had stupid **** break like power locks. See for many years they used vacuum operated locks which meant they had to have vacuum lines run all over the car. And what do plastic vacuum lines do with age? They crack and break.
As far as the TDI models go I would definitely be up for a cheaper older model as a cash commuter car. I'm not up to speed on late model diesel engines. I don't dig having to add that Blue Def stuff that supposedly helps with emissions.
Speaking of emissions I read a while back about the trouble VW got into about emissions on their diesel models. Their evil genius engineers managed to produce engine computers that knew when diagnostic equipment was plugged into it and would change lots of settings and give a different emissions output. Hey it may have been illegal but it was damn sure brilliant. Them is some smart Krauts right there.

If you are looking for a van or suv go check out the Mercedes Sprinters. They come in 2 different wheel bases and 3 different roof heights. The short wheel base low roof vans start in the low 30k and the longest and tallest can be had for less than 60k. They also come in 2 and 4 wheel drive.
I have a long wheelbase high roof and I get 23 miles to the gallon on the highway. I bought the van to replace a Chevy Suburban. It was 25k cheaper and gets almost twice the mpg.

I’m looking at either a Mercedes GL or BMW X5. Both are offered in either a fuel efficient (relatively) but supposedly still gutsy turbodiesel or a thirsty V8. I’ve owned a few bmws and they are already potential money pits, but I’m wondering if throwing a diesel in the mix is good or bad.

Back
Top Bottom