• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on diesel engine cars

the wife has a diesel beetle, 700+ miles per tank. just bought her a gas mini cooper so i could fix all broken stuff on the interior(vw's have crappy interiors) . my 05 4x4 duramax has almost 400k on it and gets 17-18mpg city and 22+ hwy.

the wife has a diesel beetle, 700+ miles per tank. just bought her a gas mini cooper so i could fix all broken stuff on the interior(vw's have crappy interiors) . my 05 4x4 duramax has almost 400k on it and gets 17-18mpg city and 22+ hwy.

That’s what I’m talking bout! That’s what I get out of a V6 now. How long you had the duramax? Are maintenance/repairs any different in terms of frequency or cost?

I don't understand why we don't have more diesel options here in the US...Was in Nicaragua earlier this year. There were Toyota Land Cruisers, Highlanders and Sequoias with diesels as well as Nissan Frontiers among others that you can't get here in the states.

I’m looking at either a Mercedes GL or BMW X5. Both are offered in either a fuel efficient (relatively) but supposedly still gutsy turbodiesel or a thirsty V8. I’ve owned a few bmws and they are already potential money pits, but I’m wondering if throwing a diesel in the mix is good or bad.
In Europe diesel cars are more prevalent as tax law favors diesel over gasoline in many countries. As a result most manufacturers have perfected the cars to some degree. Id be looking seriously at cars that have a verified European track record.

I have a bimmer, the main problems you run into are mainly on the early 2000's models mainly due to sensors and the motors overheat a lot.but generally speaking if you stay away from the turbo models they're great cars, just as reliable as any Honda. just more expensive to work on. they did make a diesel 3 series for a while.... the only complaint I heard was the paddle shifters were unrefined and the maintenance was more expensive.

and I was gonna mention the durability of the diesel jeep products. a swiss bro of mine has one and swears by it, but you started with Mercs and BMW's so never mind.

LOL. I hear ya, but the wife likes what she likes. Gotta keep her happy. I’m about 99% sure I talked her out of a used Range Rover so I’d say I’m ahead (but probably not by much). But she has always wanted a Jeep too so not out of the question. Not sure if they make the Wranglers with a diesel.

In Europe diesel cars are more prevalent as tax law favors diesel over gasoline in many countries. As a result most manufacturers have perfected the cars to some degree. Id be looking seriously at cars that have a verified European track record.

Good point. There aren’t that many options to begin with. Not interested in any of the VW suvs as I’ve heard nothing positive about them. BMW and Mercedes are hit or miss to begin with, but their diesel engines have been around a good while. Just wondering if the extra gas mileage is worth any unforeseen hassles that I’m not aware of.

I have a bimmer, the main problems you run into are mainly on the early 2000's models mainly due to sensors and the motors overheat a lot.but generally speaking if you stay away from the turbo models they're great cars, just as reliable as any Honda. just more expensive to work on. they did make a diesel 3 series for a while.... the only complaint I heard was the paddle shifters were unrefined and the maintenance was more expensive.

Is your bimmer a diesel? How long you had it and have you had any problems specifically related to the diesel engine?

nope just the NS2 3.0L straight six. those motors are renowned for being bullet proof. as far as the diesel motor that came in the (M57) 335D I wanna say the issues were mainly emissions related.( carbon build up and faulty injectors) .
its kind of hit or miss. but the torque they put out is impressive. if it were me, id stick with gas engine with BMW.

Back
Top Bottom