• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on diesel engine cars

I know. I would love to have a third vehicle with a diesel engine. In panic situations unleaded runs out way before diesel fuel does. So it's kinda like having a Hi Point 40 stashed away just in case.
understood 100 percent. Keep an eye on the vw and audis that were just bought back. If they dont sell them in europe and leave them in the us it will be a great time to invest. Blackbook has already crushed the values. Im aiming for a cayenne tdi under 10k

understood 100 percent. Keep an eye on the vw and audis that were just bought back. If they dont sell them in europe and leave them in the us it will be a great time to invest. Blackbook has already crushed the values. Im aiming for a cayenne tdi under 10k
My old landlord back in Perry has an 06 Jetta wagon TDI that he got from his brother in law last year. Typical for auto trans VWs it had a bed sensor that was a cheap part but very labor intensive to change. Plus there were special VW/Audi sockets required that we're very expensive from Snap On. And after ALL that it was in his big workshop in downtown Perry when the place caught fire on Labor Day. I don't think it's damaged that bad but the bumper cover,grille and lights are all melted.

Attachments

• IMG_20170910_110914680.jpg
    IMG_20170910_110914680.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20170910_110907014.jpg
    IMG_20170910_110907014.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 10
Had an 82 Isuzu diesel PU. It couldn't get out of it's own way, but an honest 40 mpg, and it would hold a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood.

I would take a new version of it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: MRH
My old landlord back in Perry has an 06 Jetta wagon TDI that he got from his brother in law last year. Typical for auto trans VWs it had a bed sensor that was a cheap part but very labor intensive to change. Plus there were special VW/Audi sockets required that we're very expensive from Snap On. And after ALL that it was in his big workshop in downtown Perry when the place caught fire on Labor Day. I don't think it's damaged that bad but the bumper cover,grille and lights are all melted.
frag out.

My 09 has a **** trans, clogged intake and about 30 other codes

It all depends upon the version. I have a Jetta TDI 2005 that's solid. I put close to 250k miles on it, many of them towing a small motorcycle trailer. Even took 2 bikes out to Colorado and back this past summer with it. I put a new clutch in around 200k miles, and a new timing belt and water pump every 100k. Use good oils (the VW calls for a specific specification) and just drive the thing. Even driving it hard (AC on all the time, 80+mph on the freeway, jackrabbit starts, etc) it never got below 40mpg. Pulling a bike usually got me 30mpg or more.

The 3.0 liter VW motor is solid. they didn't recall them (yet?) so they are still out there. 2009 till now you won't really find any of the 2.0liter TDI VW's out there unless someone didn't sell theirs back to VW. All of my friends that had the later models all sold them back, it was kind of stupid not to given the prices they were buying them back for.

I really wanted the Golf Sportwagen with the 6 speed manual. I was a week away from placing an order when they ordered the recall/stop sale on them. :(

I would seriously look at a Q5 or Q7 TDI. The 3.5 liter diesel in the BMW is MUCH more performance oriented and lots of aftermarket stuff. On any of the diesel BMW or Audis' as soon as the warranty is up, I would do the DPF delete and chip it. Remove as much of the emissions stuff as you can, it gets very $$ to replace or fix if it breaks.

...And after ALL that it was in his big workshop in downtown Perry when the place caught fire on Labor Day. I don't think it's damaged that bad but the bumper cover,grille and lights are all melted.

I'll bet that when the fire started he nearly hurt himself getting the car in to the building asap.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I had a Chevy Luv pickup ('82 model my Dad passed down to me) way back when and that was a great little truck. Over 40 mpg. It had an extra long bed and was absolutely ugly, and slow, but it ran forever. It was the same as an Isuzu Pup. When you popped the hood it said Isuzu in big letters on top of the motor. Back then I could get $10 in diesel and drive all week. I wish I could do that now...

A diesel car is a good idea, IMO, but I would love to see the small diesel pickups make a comeback.

It all depends upon the version. I have a Jetta TDI 2005 that's solid. I put close to 250k miles on it, many of them towing a small motorcycle trailer. Even took 2 bikes out to Colorado and back this past summer with it. I put a new clutch in around 200k miles, and a new timing belt and water pump every 100k. Use good oils (the VW calls for a specific specification) and just drive the thing. Even driving it hard (AC on all the time, 80+mph on the freeway, jackrabbit starts, etc) it never got below 40mpg. Pulling a bike usually got me 30mpg or more.

The 3.0 liter VW motor is solid. they didn't recall them (yet?) so they are still out there. 2009 till now you won't really find any of the 2.0liter TDI VW's out there unless someone didn't sell theirs back to VW. All of my friends that had the later models all sold them back, it was kind of stupid not to given the prices they were buying them back for.

I really wanted the Golf Sportwagen with the 6 speed manual. I was a week away from placing an order when they ordered the recall/stop sale on them. :(

I would seriously look at a Q5 or Q7 TDI. The 3.5 liter diesel in the BMW is MUCH more performance oriented and lots of aftermarket stuff. On any of the diesel BMW or Audis' as soon as the warranty is up, I would do the DPF delete and chip it. Remove as much of the emissions stuff as you can, it gets very $$ to replace or fix if it breaks.
that last part is great advice.
But when you said 'considering what they were paying for them, it was stupid to not sell back'
I laughed.
When i bought the car, in 2014 it was worth nearly 15k

The last value I pulled put it around 3500. That value dropped so quick it stung.

Its sad that the body style before 06 are worth more. Vw took a **** on the people with their defected cars and got a pass.

Also the 3.0 s were recently approved for modification and buybacks.
If you like the q5 and q7 keep an eye out for the cayenne tdi too. They arent as common but they are out there. Once the dealerships modify the bought back vehicles, they should be selling them back to the us used market.

We have owned several of the VW diesels

The modern electronic diesels made after about 2008 or so are very very complicated
Dozens of sensors and VWs always have random electrical Issues
My wife's 2000 beetle is diesel 5 speed , which has been fairly reliable but it randomly locks itself and the turn signals work when they feel like it

It took me 8 hours to replace the alternator
Took me 25 minutes to replace the alternator on my expedition

The Vw automatic transmissions are not known for lasting very long

The late model diesels are very very expensive to repair when something does go wrong

Price out a set of injectors for whatever car you're looking at

As for the BMWs and stuff, there's a reason a used one is so cheap , you do not want to own a volks or BMW or Benz or Audi after the warranty expires

Call your favorite mechanic and ask for a ballpark estimate for pads and rotors on all 4 wheels , an alternator and a water pump replacement on the gas version of
A: a 2010 BMW
And
B: a 2010 jeep Cherokee

If you're really brave ask about new injectors and a timing belt on the diesel models

Diesels do get better Milage
Normally about 30% better
This is due to diesel having 30% more energy per gallon than gasoline , and if you look at the signs , you will see that diesel costs , surprise , almost exactly 30% more than gasoline

Get a diesel if you like the way it drives or sounds or whatever , don't get one thinking you're gonna save money on commuting costs because it's probably not going to be worth the hassle unless you tow a trailer everyday and are talking about full size pickups

Finding someone who is knowledgeable enough to work on a oddball diesel is also gonna be a problem

I know of exactly two mechanics within 75 miles of Atlanta that are experienced working on Vw diesels

We've had several of the older Vw diesels
A 99 beetle
2001 golf
And now a 2001 beetle

All were 5 speeds ,
I got the golf when I was driving a thousand miles a week for my job and getting reimbursement of 57 cents a mile
I got the golf on eBay for $3000, with 250k on it
You'd be surprised how much cargo you can haul with a 4 door hatchback if you remove the back seat

It was a fun car and got 44 mpg every tank driving it like I stole it

Sold it when my employer insisted I start driving a company truck
Wife has had two diesel beetles , never any major problems , the engines and manual transmissions are solid , but they can't make a wiring harness worth a dam.
Whatever Vw you get , you WILL have electrical problems
And unless you do all the maintenance yourself , you will likely spend all the $$ you saved on fuel , on repairs .

Back
Top Bottom