• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on Dillon Square deal

Dirty J

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
344   0
Reaction score
Looking to get into reloading - looking at the Dillon Square Deal for it's simplicity and all the parts in the box. And relatively low cost.

I'm a USPSA shooter that will load 99.9% for 9mm ONLY. Im not specifically loading for cost savings - mostly to dial in the load for my CZ and PCC for the best recoil impulses.

I understand it uses proprietary dies.

I understand the 650 will crank out more rounds per hour... but I shoot 7-800rds a month. Max. That's all I have time for. I think I should be able to load that much in 90-120 mins. Which I'm fine with.

I've got limited workspace to dedicate. I like it's compact footprint.

I understand the SD doesn't work for rifle calibers. I will not be loading any rifle calibers. If I ever did in the future, it would be only 308 and I'd likely just get a single stage dedicated to the task.

What am I missing here?

Anyone care to talk me out of it (or in to it)? ;)

upload_2018-7-6_13-41-12.jpeg

I had a 550B for 20 years before I picked up a SDB from an ODTer a few years ago. I use it for loading 9mm & 38 spl. Works great and it's nice being able to leave it set up for 9mm for months at a time.

It will serve you well and your projected output is reasonable. Even taking my time, I can load 400-500 rounds per hour very easily.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I had a 550B for 20 years before I picked up a SDB from an ODTer a few years ago. I use it for loading 9mm & 38 spl. Works great and it's nice being able to leave it set up for 9mm for months at a time.

It will serve you well and your projected output is reasonable. Even taking my time, I can load 400-500 rounds per hour very easily.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated

I think there was one listed here a few days ago. I find it super tempting. I currently have a lee torrent but wouldn't mind being able to load a little faster

It's a Dillon so you cant go wrong, and if you find reloading not to your liking, you will normally get back 90% of your investment when it comes time to resell.

I find the 550 more versatile, you say you wont be loading rifle now but one thing I know about USPSA, sooner or later it leads to 2-Gun/3-Gun matches. The 550 can accommodate the switch with minimum outlay vice the SDB where you will have to buy a complete new setup.

As far as ammo production goes the 550 is a little slower but not by much.

It's a Dillon so you cant go wrong, and if you find reloading not to your liking, you will normally get back 90% of your investment when it comes time to resell.

I find the 550 more versatile, you say you wont be loading rifle now but one thing I know about USPSA, sooner or later it leads to 2-Gun/3-Gun matches. The 550 can accommodate the switch with minimum outlay vice the SDB where you will have to buy a complete new setup.

As far as ammo production goes the 550 is a little slower but not by much.
Already gone the 3 gun path. Not for me. Just pistols and PCC.

Suck it up and buy the rl650. It will do everything. You may not be just into 9mm in 10 years and the rl650 will be right there with you. As someone who has owned an rl550 and rl650, the sdb would be my choice over the rl550, but not the rl650. I've never regretted buying better, but often regretted buying cheaper.

Suck it up and buy the rl650. It will do everything. You may not be just into 9mm in 10 years and the rl650 will be right there with you. As someone who has owned an rl550 and rl650, the sdb would be my choice over the rl550, but not the rl650. I've never regretted buying better, but often regretted buying cheaper.

Not bad advice for most. But I'm really settled in to what i shoot. I done the caliber dance. And I'm 100% happy with where I'm at.

Despise 40 and just not a 45 guy. My pistol shooting is going to be 9mm.

It's taken me 3 years of high volume competitive shooting to even give this much thought to loading.

I shoot a good bit of 5.56, but I'm pretty content with the 0.27/Rd that I'm spending now for m193 type ammo. Have no need to dial any loads in. Don't shoot it exceptionally long distances. It's all defensive rifle shooting at distances < 200m.

And loading bottleneck cartridges just seems like a PITA. A good deal more prep work.

For my 308... id see a single stage being better for precision loading.Wouldn't utilize a 650 for that if I had one. And that's if i ever decided to go down that road. As infrequently as I shoot long range, the stockpile of Fed Gold medal match that I have will probably last me 10 years!

So aside from higher output on my 9mm... I just can't see the advantage of the higher upfront cost of a 650

Appreciate all the comments so far!

Back
Top Bottom