• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on Dillon Square deal

Got it mounted up last night. Work space is at a minimum, so I made a platform that I can bolt/unbolt to my work bench using 5/8" bolts.

Will start loading up some test rounds this weekend.

Once I decide if I will primarily load seated or standing, I'll consider adding the Strong mount.

FD302984-223F-499A-8A90-2171264B2C07.jpeg

Adjustments time.

Set the OAL to 1.10" - passes the plunk test on my pickiest chamber (CZ Shadow). The factory stuff I'd been shooting was 1.15", so this leaves a good bit of room.

Set the powder drop to 4.5gr of Hodgdon CFE. I've got several buddies that recommend that charge with the OAL and 124gr projectile I'll be starting with. Will try up/down a few grains to see how it chronos out.

Pretty impressed with how accurately the Dillon threw 10 charges.

Gonna load some up Saturday morning and head over to RBGC to try them out.

81BA31B2-156B-46B8-88DD-4F425A2CE038.jpeg
9F9E9237-BC49-4F2C-AFC7-E665EFE282C1.jpeg

It sounds like you've done your research. But 9mm especially for minor power factor hardly seems like the effort because it's so cheap right now.

Side note: I like the 40. The brass loads like a 45, but can be handloaded as light as a 9mm. As a reloader it offers a lot of versatility.

I shoot 40sw in USPSA and my sti dvc limited is the only 40 I own. It's super easy AND SAFE to make 40 major- not as easy if your trying to make 9 major for open.
9mm is cheap enough to buy right now that it hardly seems worth the material + time... And in this case, equipment cost for the OP

It sounds like you've done your research. But 9mm especially for minor power factor hardly seems like the effort because it's so cheap right now.

I shoot 40sw in USPSA and my sti dvc limited is the only 40 I own. It's super easy AND SAFE to make 40 major- not as easy if your trying to make 9 major for open.
9mm is cheap enough to buy right now that it hardly seems worth the material + time... And in this case, equipment cost for the OP
The SDB is treating me well so far. Made about 500 rounds working on the loads for my PCC and CZ Shadow.

It’s not specifically about cost... though there is still some savings.

I’m at $0.10/rd with my brass. Be around $0.12/rd when I eventually have to buy brass next year.

I was paying $0.179/rd for factory stuff that’s way too hot in my guns.

124gr blazer brass is making major in my 16” PCC! 165 PF

This exercise is all about dialing in my loads to have every advantage possible for competition... while saving a little bit of money (or more likely just shooting a bit more for the same money)

I know I am late to the discussion and you already have a SDB, but one thing that the 550B has over the SDB is you can use other brand dies and powder measures. I use the Lee Auto Disk for my high volume handgun loads. It is easier to setup than the Dillon powder dropper and I swear it is more precise.

I do believe the SDB will be faster loading than the 550B for pistol rounds though since it auto indexes.

I started on a 550B loading handgun rounds. When I finally tried out rifle rounds, I found I could make my Colt HBAR shoot 1/2" groups that I couldn't get it to do with factory match ammo. The race was on and now I load all my rifle cartridges, granted I spent a lot of time chasing the perfect load in each gun. Some guns I find a load quickly, others I am still hunting....

Welcome to the addiction.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom