• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

thoughts on rock island 1911

cooter

Default rank <1250 posts
Expert know-it-all.
40   0
Reaction score
Okay looked at a rock island arms 1911 today. Love the gun but I know there is a lot of prejudice towards them on here. My question is why? Y'all throw me some pros and cons. I'll be buying a 1911 sometime in the next week or two and just from looks I'm leaning towards it.

Very good guns. When they get posted for sale in the classifieds here they don't last long. There's a reason for that. I don't have any cons. I have a tactical model and haven't had a single issue. It's an entry level 1911 and a great value. Read some stuff on 1911.org. They get very good marks. A recurring theme is that their customer service is excellent should you have a problem. I wouldn't know. Mine has functioned flawlessly since day 1.

They are a very good entry level 1911. Just know that they will always be an entry level 1911 no matter how much money you put into one. Some folks invest a lot of $$$ in them for upgraded parts and gunsmithing and then they're surprised when they can't get the money back out on a sale or trade. As a shooter, they are just fine...

They are what they are, a cheap, low end 1911 with a cast frame. Slide to frame fit is usually pretty good with little to no wiggle, but other tolerances such as the fit of the extractor and firing pin stop can be anywhere from loose to near impossible to remove. I have taken many RIA's apart and I must say their quality control does not impress me.
They are fine if you just want a beater gun.
If you want remarkably better quality and attention to detail, for just $100-$200 more you can get a Springfield GI or Milspec.

Okay looked at a rock island arms 1911 today. Love the gun but I know there is a lot of prejudice towards them on here. My question is why? Y'all throw me some pros and cons. I'll be buying a 1911 sometime in the next week or two and just from looks I'm leaning towards it.

I haven't read that many critical comments on the RIA 1911's. As stated above, they are what they are. I can't see buying one and pouring a bunch of $$ into it. But my experience with the Philipine 1911's has been very good. I had one of the American Classics that looked and shot great. If you want a new good quality 1911 for less than $500.00, I think they're fine. I would get the upgraded sights, as the GI sights are impossible for most older eyes to use. I don't like to beat up my nice expensive 1911's while hunting, climbing, and other stuff out in the woods, and these pistols have proven to be very reliable for me. I say if it's in your budget and fits your needs, go for it. Unless you plan to try and impress some snobs, who cares what name's on it?

i have an officers model. it is well built. the finish is not the greatest. the parkerization was chipped in a couple of places from the factory. it was no big deal to me because it will not be a safe queen. i plan to carry mine. reliability has not been an issue with mine. the factory grips are ugly, but that is an easy fix.

if you want a gun to customize spend the extra money and get a springfield. if you want a work horse on the cheap go with the RIA.

I had an RIA GI 1911 for a little while. I had a couple of failures with it, but it ended up being the ammo (don't buy Atlanta Arms!). I really loved it for what it was...a very inexpensive entry level 1911. Mine was very accurate and the fit and finish were outstanding. That being said, I agree with the statement that it is not one you buy and upgrade. Get something forged for that. I got rid of mine because I got tired of buying .45 ammo. She was just getting too expensive to feed.

I had the Officer's Model version. I liked it and had no problems with it. They are a good pistol at their price point.....however people that sell them second hand seem to think a little to highly of them. It doesn't matter how many aftermarket products you put on it.....it still a RIA, not a Wilson.

the only one Ive owned I let a Navy vet. buddy of mine talk me out of ......

when he seen it ,he had to have it he said .................. so I let him have it for what I had in it and gave him an xtra mag too....

It was a good shooter and I wouldnt hesitate to get another !! .. thumbs up ..

Back
Top Bottom