• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on this?

I don't bother with looking at CCL or ID any more. I get the car tag number for my on protection. Good enough for me. Ain`t bought or sold on here in a while. I`ve bought several new guns for what they asked for used ones on here.

Nothing he did from what I read is, or should be, a crime. I have no problem with people ignoring unconstitutional laws and hope a 2nd amendment attorney takes his case pro bono and uses it to fight the unconstitutional laws he was charged with breaking all the way to the supreme court for vindication and liberty for all. My 2 cents.

THIS! He was making 300k in rental income plus his salary as a police officer. The law says one cannot buy and sell firearms as a sole business without a license. If he was making more than 300k selling 30ish guns a year, Im going down to apply for my license in the morning. Commifornia does not like what he is doing, but per federal law, he has done nothing wrong. Hes probably going to lose his job and have to spend lots of money defending his freedom over a law that is a) unconstitutional and b) he did not break in the first place.

My gut feeling is that he may have broken state laws and they decided to throw everything at him and just see what sticks.

Well, my intent for the thread was less about what "should be" and more about what IS... Kinda like the bump stock thread... There is no reason for it to be illegal because there should not be an NFA, so whether a gun is automatic, or pseudo-automatic shouldn't matter.

But it does. I just wonder what the law considers a "casual trader", versus an unlicensed dealer...

If you had to stand in front of a jury, it is entirely plausible to explain how you are just a fickle enthusiast, who tries something out, enjoys it for awhile and passes it on for something else... But if you do it 15, or 25 times a month, they might have a hard time "justifying" that. LOL

Part of me feels like there is a point at which the law would look at the sheer volume one person has partaken of, and would decide, "This guy is dealing guns without a license, this goes beyond the casual private transaction" case...

I see what you are getting at. I feel the law was left ambiguous on purpose, to purposely let it be applied in any way deemed fit. It could potentially be a hard sell to a jury, but that's what we pay attourneys for.

I see what you are getting at. I feel the law was left ambiguous on purpose, to purposely let it be applied in any way deemed fit. It could potentially be a hard sell to a jury, but that's what we pay attourneys for.

Right, and our interpretation of what is reasonable, will likely have no bearing on what THEY think is... So knowing that, how do we protect ourselves when we are just buying and trading casually? Just ignore it and if its ever a problem, deal with it?

You also get feedback from BUYING and TRADING, not just selling. I haven't sold anything on ODT, all feedback is from buying stuff and 2 trades I did. Just pointing this out. Some people with lots of feedback may just be shop-aholics/hoarders.

I know how the feedback works and you can't go by the number alone. I am just pondering this, as the media scrutiny on private sales seems to be heating up, as are lawmakers looking into this stuff as they try to justify their Universal Background Check legislation. This forum, is exactly what they are trying to shut down with that, and all others like it.

I try to put myself in their shoes and consider how they might use things against us. If I was on their side, I would come in, scan and look for people with hundreds of transactions, click on "feedback" and "find threads started by this user" and look through and see how many were sales. When you see someone who sold 100+ guns in a year, none of them with paperwork or a background check, while perfectly legal, it does paint a picture that the average Joe might find alarming.

If I were them, I would then do a story on this, and show that "just here in GA, we have had thousands of guns sold in an online forum, mostly to strangers, and almost none of them having gone through a background check"...

I think that whether it is right or wrong, legal or not, such a claim would really be used against us...

So what I am getting at, is perhaps a better kind of rating system, one that doesn't broadcast the activity to anyone with Google, could serve us better? And maybe take away the "find all threads by this user"?

Just a thought...

The OP's article is a year old.

This year the cop pled guilty to dealing in firearms without an FFL
and falsifying a federal document (lying on the form 4473 as a straw purchaser).

He got a 366-day sentence. Felony level. That will probably mean loss of his 2A rights forever, with only a Presidential pardon as a possible way to resore his gun rights in the future.

Quote:
Gourdikian pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles to felony charges of selling firearms without a license and falsifying a record, wherein he had claimed he was buying a firearm for himself even though he intended to sell it.

Link:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw38u1D-89hPrSXKCpI61Pl9&ust=1554393066195238

And this newer article also says he did most of his deals on a state-specific gun chat site with an active Buy/ Sell / Trade section.

Squire SCA, to answer your question directly, NO, I don't think we should encourage people here at ODT to commit more federal felonies by modifying the ratings system to hide huge transaction counts thst might properly put somebody on the ATF's radar and get them to take a closer look at that person.

Back
Top Bottom