• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thread locker for suppressor muzzle device

Johninthewoods

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
29   0
Reaction score
Hey Gents,

What thread locker (if any) did you all use to attach your muzzle device to your rifle barrel?

I’ve got a KGM R556 suppressor which came with a QD flash suppressor. It doesn’t need to be timed and was instructed NOT to use any kind of crush washer, just put some thread locker such as rockset and direct thread the QD muzzle device to the barrel.

Anyone use old fashioned Red Locktite? I cannot find rockset anywhere locally and need to get this thing running soon for quals.

SilencerCo ASR brakes/flash hiders all come with a tube of Rocksett and especially for my ARs that get smoking hot I've never had an issue with any of them coming loose, even when I'm hammering on my Hybrid to get the brake threads broken to hot swap at the range.

Reactions: TAK
Even though the mini phials or whatever that come with the brakes aren't resealable I just threw the first one in a plastic baggie and keep reusing it. I've put 5 brakes on now with that one tube and I have 4 more now from the other brakes that I haven't even opened, they're just all sitting in the suppressor hardware drawer of my work bench.

Red Loctite will probably get you by if you don't have a long strings of fire (where you'd see 500F).
Rocksett is for high temperature applications, and is removable using boiling water and soaking (no experience doing it, just reading about it)
Red Loctite is supposed to be removable with heat and hand tools.
Blue Loctite is supposed to removable with hand tools alone.

With any of these products, more is not better. Use it sparingly.

I'm that guy that does not put thread locking compound on them. Torqued to 25 ft/lbs, you aren't twisting that off by hand, I don't care how big and strong you are. If you can gets stuck, you will probably get the whole thing off then you can put the brake in a vise and save torquing your barrel. Just my 2 cents.

I'm that guy that does not put thread locking compound on them. Torqued to 25 ft/lbs, you aren't twisting that off by hand, I don't care how big and strong you are. If you can gets stuck, you will probably get the whole thing off then you can put the brake in a vise and save torquing your barrel. Just my 2 cents.
i use rocksett and 30lb/ft.

All of my muzzle devices are Dead Air Keymo. I install to 25 lb-ft with no threadlocker of any kind and I've yet to have one loosen running my Sandman-S.

That's a sample size of 1 manufacturer and I don't crank the heat up on any of my rifles, so take my experience for what it's worth.

I've removed muzzle devices for other folks that were installed with Rocksett and it is quite a bond for sure. An overnight soak in water gets it to let loose rather easily though.

Back
Top Bottom