• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Throttle position sensor

Take off throttle springs and cable to make sure its closed all the way,check voltage i use slight pressure to make sure its closed.
Then go to WOT check voltage,the slots are for adjusting the read to show 4.75 at WOT.
Im not sure what the rpm should be on your truck but you can set it with engine running.
But thats a different animal and works better for me.

Always clean tb and disconnect battery and install new sensor
Then hook battery and adjust as needed

On these rarely the sensor goes bad but dirty throttle body and adjustment sometimes

Take off throttle springs and cable to make sure its closed all the way,check voltage i use slight pressure to make sure its closed.
Then go to WOT check voltage,the slots are for adjusting the read to show 4.75 at WOT.
Im not sure what the rpm should be on your truck but you can set it with engine running.
But thats a different animal and works better for me.
Good advice. I'm working on the truck a little bit every evening. I'll have to take a look tomorrow.

Get your closed voltage closer to .75 and i bet WOT will be 4.6-4.8 right now it looks like its adjusted to low

None of the parts spec'd for my truck is adjustable. If resetting the computer doesn't work I may need to pick up an adjustable version. I found this info on Thirdgen.org:

IAC and TPS Adjustment
Idle Air Control
Tools needed:
    • Torx bit # T-20
    • Paper Clip
    • Small Punch
Take the paper clip and open it up and form it into a big "U" shape. Insert the clip ends into the ALDL in the ‘A’ and ‘B’ pins.

Turn on the ignition, but don’t start the engine. Wait 30 seconds. Now, go remove the connector from the IAC.

Start engine. You are now going to adjust "minimum air". There is a Torx screw on the side of the throttle body. This is what needs to be turned to adjust minimum air, or more commonly known as "idle speed". It comes from the factory with a protective metal cap over it. If the cap is still there, use a small punch to knock it out. Set the idle speed to 450 rpm, rotating the Torx screw clockwise to raise rpm, and counter-clockwise to lower rpm. Once the idle rpm is set, turn off the engine.

Re-connect the connector onto the IAC. Start engine. Idle speed is now once again governed by the ECM, but your idle should be smooth and steady, approximately 600 rpm in Drive (for unmodified cars).

If you set an SES light by having the IAC disconnected, then after shutting down the engine disconnect the negative battery terminal. Wait 5 minutes. This will clear the ECM of all trouble codes. Re-connect the battery and drive the car for 20 minutes to allow the ECM to relearn your driving style.

Throttle Position Switch (TPS)

Tools needed:
    • Digital Volt-Ohm-Meter (VOM)
    • Jumper Wires (make your own)
    • Auto Xray Scanner (if available) will eliminate the need for VOM and jumper wires.
Turn on ignition, but don’t start the engine.

With a scanner: plug in the scanner and read the TPS voltage. It should be 0.54Volts +/- 0.075Volts

With VOM and jumper wires: disconnect the connector from the TPS. Using your jumper wires, make a connection allowing some room for the VOM terminals to contact the jumper leads and read the TPS voltage.

If out of spec, loosen the two screws holding the TPS to the throttle body, and slightly rotate the TPS up or down, reading the voltage until it comes into specification. Tighten screws. Using the throttle lever, rotate the throttle to WOT (wide open throttle). The TPS voltage should be over 4.0 volts. Close the throttle again, and then slowly open it to WOT, observing the voltage reading. It should increase progressively and in a linear fashion. If it sticks or jumps or falls off at all while doing this check, that could mean a bad TPS switch and could be a cause of stumbling and driveability problems.

After setting the correct voltage, turn off ignition switch. Remove jumpers/scanner and reconnect the TPS connector as required.

so did you get it?
Not yet. I detoured to the turn signal issue since it creates a safety issue for driving. Next, I've got all the parts for the front in rebuild, including a new Redhead Steering Gears steering box that I'm stoked about trying. Also a new set of Bilsteins. ;)

With all that done I'll feel better about driving it while I figure out the tuning issues.

you should consider some type of security. maybe a
steering wheel quick disconnect or a hidden switch.
those trucks are a hot ticket item with car thieves

you should consider some type of security. maybe a
steering wheel quick disconnect or a hidden switch.
those trucks are a hot ticket item with car thieves
I've been thinking about that. Mine is the third house in the neighborhood, and I see cats pulling in and turning around to case the neighborhood on occasion. I have an electronic power disconnect that I pirated from one of my old police car that I'm thinking about installing.

Back
Top Bottom