• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

throwing knife selection

Look for the Gil Hibben Triple Thrower series. They're balanced for throwing, but have a blade that's usable for other things.

Got this nice set from Gil Hibben, PM if interested, been in a briefcase in closet for the past 30 years
DSC00872.JPG

Gerber only worked when it hit point-first.
When my spin was off the tip of the blade (very thin) got stressed.
After a dozen good sticks and only 5 or 6 bad hits, the tip of the blade broke off.

79B73735-8F66-46E8-883A-704A5A0CEBC1.jpeg

The Gerber was a little light, too.
I think I need to find a knife that's about 11" overall. Ideally with a 6" blade and 5" of handle (full tang under the handle material, natch)

This one looks interesting. The handles don't show up well in the pic, but it has black composite grips on each side.

See the write-up on this guy's blog:
http://jercolsbacktobasics.blogspot.com/?m=1

Got this nice set from Gil Hibben, PM if interested, been in a briefcase in closet for the past 30 years
View attachment 2085494

I'm PM-ing you about those. Apparantly nobody makes the kind of knife I envision, and the closest ones on the market won't hold up to poorly-thrown impacts with a wooden target. At least those Gil Hibbens look tough enough to not break.

61BF6EC5-70F9-4933-B088-0430166ADC17.jpeg

I'm now thinking that the Glock military knife (FM 78 or FM 81-- plain spine versus saw-back) would be a good choice. It is supposed to have one of the toughest thickest blades of any fixed blade knife, and the point is angled in such a way to resist snapping because one of its intended uses is as a prying tool.

They cost about $30 each. So I would probably pick up 2 of them. Throwing 2 at the target before having to walk over and pull them out of the wood would be nice.
Also, it would not be unreasonable to carry two on my belt. Either both on the same side, or one on each hip.

YouTube has a video of somebody testing this knife by stabbing it into a log of wood in front of a target and then shooting the knife blade with a 22 rimfire. They hit it several times and the bullets always deflected off without any damage to the blade.

Back
Top Bottom