• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Throwing rifle powder loads with Lee pro auto disk

jsquared

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
43   0
Reaction score
Anyone using the Lee Pro Auto Disk powder measure to load larger rifle cartidges (308, 30-06, etc)? Are you using the double disk kit or how are you doing it? Just got my press kit in the mail this week and after unboxing it and reading the manual for the auto disk it looks like the largest charge of Hogdon anything I can throw is just over 21 grains. With the double disk it will still be under the max load for 308 using Varget (Hogdens site shows max Varget load for most weight bullets to be 46-47 grains). using Lee's supplied chart, I would need a double stacked disk volume of 3.43 to load 47 grains of Varget, and the largest possible is 3.14 (just over 42 grains, the minimum load of Varget/168gr) according to Hogden. Im not looking to load anything towards max at any time soon, just curious how other people are using the Lee setup for larger rifle loads.

I don't load for rifle, but I do use a Lee. The chart that comes with the powder disks isn't very accurate. Use it to get close to the charge you're looking for then weigh and adjust. If you need something you can adjust pretty easily I'd recommend the Adjustable Powder Charge Bar. It's easy to calculate what you need to set it to for the charge you want and you don't have to swap out disks all the time, though I have no idea how well it would work for rifle loads. I guess you could pair two of them together or pair it with a disk.

You'll also find that smaller powders meter much more consistently. So if your charges are varying too much look for a smaller powder.

I have read a lot of posts from people that do just that, buy a double disk kit and two of the micro adjuster powder bars and stack them (after taking some material off them to fit the press). The only bad thing I have read about the adjustable bars is that with the smaller settings the openings are too small to throw a consistent charge. people mentioned having powder lands on the flat surface of the bar and not go into the case, giving an underload on one round, then that powder falling into the next case on the next charge giving an overload. Any experience with this? What calibers are you using it for and which powder/setting?

I only load 9mm right now with Accurate #5 and #2 which are both very small ball powders that meter incredibly well. I would think you'd probably have the best luck putting the smaller bar or disk on top in a double stack setup. That way powder falling into the bottom one wouldn't have any flat surfaces to get caught on.

Varget doesnt meter the greatest anyways, it is an extruded stick powder and often times doesnt meter the greatest. Depending on what you are loading for will make your final decision. If loading for precision, get a scale, a trickler and a cheap Lee perfect powder throw. Get the throw close to your charge weight, throw into a cup/funnel and then weigh, trickle up to final charge weight and then pour it into the case.

MY load for my bolt gun is 46.8 grains of Vargay under a Sierra 2155 bullet (the old 155 bullets) with a winchester or Magtech large rifle primer seated to 2.825 in length on the LONGEST bullet out of the box. Out of my SPS Tac I get an average speed of 2725fps. At 200 yards I have a sub 1 inch 5 shot group with that load.

If loading for precision, get a scale, a trickler and a cheap Lee perfect powder throw. Get the throw close to your charge weight, throw into a cup/funnel and then weigh, trickle up to final charge weight and then pour it into the case.

I completely agree with this statement. I would add that if you didn't want to go that way you should try a powder such as Winchester 748 that is a "ball" powder and does meter very well. With that being said, I do believe that when you are going to throw the powder for a .308 or 30.06 you DO need the double disk. It has been a while since I use a Lee Progressive but I do seem to remember something like that.

Right, you do need the double disk for most all rifle loads, but even then the max load of any common .308 powder is going to be around 41-43gr. Depending on the powder this is usually right at the minimum load for each one (based on the ones I have worked the math for). Im not looking for a super accurate load right now, not looking for any data at all really, just curious if anyone was running the Lee powder measure for 308 and what load/disk combo you were using.

Well, I'm following this as I am about to start loading .308 in my Lee Classic Turrent ...

I'm loading for a FNAR so all rounds will need to be fully sized and will need a trip through a crimp die.
I will probably decap separatly, clean flash-holes, trim, tumble the brass and lube first though.

I have used SC (short cut) versions of some powders to ease metering problems, but don't yet see
a suitable ball or SC powder for the .308.

Earl Clark - Cumming, Georgia

Varget doesnt meter the greatest anyways, it is an extruded stick powder and often times doesnt meter the greatest. Depending on what you are loading for will make your final decision. If loading for precision, get a scale, a trickler and a cheap Lee perfect powder throw. Get the throw close to your charge weight, throw into a cup/funnel and then weigh, trickle up to final charge weight and then pour it into the case.

MY load for my bolt gun is 46.8 grains of Vargay under a Sierra 2155 bullet (the old 155 bullets) with a winchester or Magtech large rifle primer seated to 2.825 in length on the LONGEST bullet out of the box. Out of my SPS Tac I get an average speed of 2725fps. At 200 yards I have a sub 1 inch 5 shot group with that load.

Yeah, a SC (short cut) version of this excellent powder would be a great idea!
Essentially, they "cut" each stick of power in half ... making it MUCH, MUCH easier to meter!
The load data remains unchanged though.

Clarke, you shouldnt have to crimp with the FNAR. Recoil isnt that bad to give you bullet set back in the mags. I wouldnt crimp if it was me. but YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom