• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

TIME TO FESS UP! What's the most you've overpaid for gun stuff?

If you've been in the hobby long enough then you've overpaid at some point, so let's hear about the stupid money you've spent on this crippling gun addiction that we all suffer from.

I'll start us off. It hurts to even post this, but here it goes...

During the Clinton AWB I paid $80 for a USED 25-round 10/22 magazine. During that same time I paid another $80 for a USED 15-round Glock 19 magazine. If I remember correctly I bought them both out of the catalog that Cheaper Than Dirt used to send me in the mail about once a month.

But the worst gun purchase I ever made was in late 2008 right after Obama won the election.

I had never owned an AR before and was convinced that Obama would completely outlaw them on day-one in office, so it was NOW OR NEVER for me to get one!

Me and a guy I worked with stopped by Academy Sports in Athens and they had two ARs out on the shelf. They were the only two they had and the salesman said he had no idea if they would ever get anymore. We both swallowed that bull**** hook line and sinker.

My co-worker walked out with a Bushmaster for $900 + tax

I walked out the proud owner of a S&W M&P-15 for $1150 + tax!

:doh:

Alright, those are my best/worst horror stories, so now it's your turn!

I paid nothing for the whole week - suite, food, concerts, drinks, fishing etc.
last week at Beau Rivage.

It only cost me 4k by the time I cashed my last chips in.

PMR-30, just had to have one, but refused to pay the $600 going rate.

After 12 months or so I ended up buying one off here for $550, OD Green, extra mag (total of 3 mags).

Shot it that day, LOVED it.

2 days later on a Thursday one of our sales guys calls me from a strip mall gun store in the corner in Suwanee.

$349 plus tax. I drove like a maniac from Midtown up there and picked it up too.

Sometimes satisfaction is worth the extra $.

Firmly convinced if I had not bought the first and mentioned to my sales guy, I would have never got the $349 one.

During the nineties, the little .32 cal Seacamp had a msrp of under $400; but routinely sold for $800-1,000........if you could find one. People were waiting a year or more to get delivery on one. I lusted after one for a couple of years; but could never find one. My son and my wife found one and bought it for me as a Christmas gift. It cost them around $850 with tax. It still lives in my safe; and might sell for $400 on a good day.

I keep telling myself that I didn't buy it....but, since I was the only one in the house with an income, I suppose I really did.

Don't feel too bad, i didn't do it, but saw a guy give a dealer $1200 for one during that time. i did, however pay $400 for a lightly used one a few months later.

Don't feel too bad, i didn't do it, but saw a guy give a dealer $1200 for one during that time. i did, however pay $400 for a lightly used one a few months later.
You were lucky to find a used one. I could never find used ones for sale at any price during that time. Most of the people that owned them had waited months for delivery; and weren't about to sell them.

images(5).jpg
I paid $800 for a Federal Arms FA91 (HK91/g3 clone with ****ty cast receiver) when I was first getting into guns and didnt know that "clones" were a thing. Still don't know how I goofed that bad and had been so oblivious.
You sir, win this thread.

When I lived in California for a few years, I overpaid on a CZ97B, a Range Officer in 9mm, and some other stuff. I guess I didn't really overpay since there was no real supply of those in CA, but it was still $100 over MSRP on those. There is a stupid "safe" handgun roster that limits selection of pistols.

Bought my Ruger AR556 right before the election last year in case Hillary won. $620 I think, now they're everywhere for $450 and lower.

Sold my buddy a DPMS for $750 a few years ago though, haha. He still gives me crap about that.

Back
Top Bottom