• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Time to get my fat arse back in gear....again

Thats why shoulders and arms are at the end of the week for me.

I don't spend much time on the front delt because it gets plenty from chest day. Middle and rear delt on the other hand it worked pretty extensively. Every so often I will do some over head press or plate raises but my front delts have never been small. Bi and tris sometimes get their own day or I'll stack them with chest or back. Depends on my mood and how much time I have.

I don't spend much time on the front delt because it gets plenty from chest day. Middle and rear delt on the other hand it worked pretty extensively. Every so often I will do some over head press or plate raises but my front delts have never been small. Bi and tris sometimes get their own day or I'll stack them with chest or back. Depends on my mood and how much time I have.

Yea any suggestions given needs to be tailored to individuals. What make work for one guy might not for the next 2 or 3 people. I learned a long time ago to listen to your body. Even with my normal routines sometimes I'm not feeling it so I have to switch it up on the fly.

One key is not to try to do too much too fast.

Yea any suggestions given needs to be tailored to individuals. What make work for one guy might not for the next 2 or 3 people. I learned a long time ago to listen to your body. Even with my normal routines sometimes I'm not feeling it so I have to switch it up on the fly.

One key is not to try to do too much too fast.

That's mostly true when it comes to diet/nutrition and the needs of the individual. When it comes to weigh training there are several "golden rules" that can be applied to almost everyone. Most of it comes from just understanding how the muscle works and what is effective and what isn't. Obviously I don't know Patronus' health background or known injuries (if any) but assuming he can perform the exercises in the OP it would appear he is able bodied enough to do most anything with a reasonable weight and good form. (I'm truly not trying to come across as a smart ass by any means, fitness is a passion of mine so I can sometimes come on kinda strong, so don't take it as me being a smart ass). Muscles are designed to work a certain way and if you work them right, anyone can get results. The key is doing it right which most don't do.

Also, you need to train your primary (or larger) muscle groups 1st (Chest, back) before your secondary (shoulders, biceps, triceps). This will allow you to train your larger muscles without pre-exhausting your secondary muscles. Then when you have worked the large muscle group, transition to the secondaries. This will help you complete the workout with more efficiency. Also, train your core (abs) between sets to help save time. Weight training is about intensity and blood flow, not just moving weight around.

If you have any questions just ask. (I basically do this for a living so.... yeah)

Hmm... My shoulders suck. That's why I thought to put them first so I could get the best workout on them while the triceps were still fresh. Once I blow out the trikes, the shoulders will get less focus. Working from the military press, progressively down to the decline bench puts the whole range sequentially with the weakest(shoulders) first and strongest, decline bench) last. Besides, that puts the weight over my head while I have the most control over it. LOL.

GREAT suggestion abut putting abs in between sets. I can add sit ups to the crunches by doubling up on the sets. Thanks!

For just 2 gym days a week that's pretty good. Would be better to do 3 days with legs on its own day but if you struggle with your runs you could keep it as is.

I work from home so I try to go 5x a week, even on weekends. I'd do one body part each day: chest, back, legs, shoulders, arms with 1.5-2 mile jog after weight training. If I know I'm busy that week I'd do a split, chest and tris, back and bis and legs.

It's actually two 2 day splits for a 4 day week. I work Friday-Sunday so I'll work out Monday/Tuesday, rest Wednesday then workout Thursday/Friday and rest (well work 16 hour days) Saturday/Sunday. I considered a 4 day split but decided that in the beginning, with less endurance and strength, I'd run a shorter (per body part) program and then when I need to switch programs(6 weeks I think is the recommendation), I'll go to a 4 day split for the next cycle.

Patronus, how much cardio do you have planned for after your weight training?

Initially, I will be considering a 2 mile walk as my cardio with a second 2 mile walk in the evening. As I progress I will be going to the same distance in the morning but as intervals with the same 2 mile evening walk. When I started out last time my intervals were15 seconds jog, 1 minute 45 seconds walk and after a couple of weeks I advance to 30 seconds jog with 90 seconds walk and at best I was doing 60 jog, 60 walk. But I was also doing the trail by my house which is 4 miles and rough terrain. I have a German Shepherd who will love the extra time outdoors. So, if I can, I will get back to the trail every day. But that means I MUST get my dead ass up and workout from 6-7 and hit the road by 7:15 or it will get too hot.

That's mostly true when it comes to diet/nutrition and the needs of the individual. When it comes to weigh training there are several "golden rules" that can be applied to almost everyone. Most of it comes from just understanding how the muscle works and what is effective and what isn't. Obviously I don't know Patronus' health background or known injuries (if any) but assuming he can perform the exercises in the OP it would appear he is able bodied enough to do most anything with a reasonable weight and good form. (I'm truly not trying to come across as a smart ass by any means, fitness is a passion of mine so I can sometimes come on kinda strong, so don't take it as me being a smart ass). Muscles are designed to work a certain way and if you work them right, anyone can get results. The key is doing it right which most don't do.
Well, I spent the better part of 50 years committing suicide by fork. So, I wasn't too surprised when I had the heart attack last year. Kinda pissed me off though. I've ridden the rollercoaster a time or two between my all time high of 260 and my all time adult low of 180 and was at 23 when I had the heart attack. I got back down to 195 before slacking again and am now at 220. Yeah, I know. Dammit. This is it(never said THAT before. LOL), however. I've been half assing and making excuses long enough. I KNOW I can lose weight and I KNOW I can get in shape...hell I've done it. So. If I have to put tuna on the endangered species list and take 5 showers a day I WILL sweat the fat guy out of my clothes.

Hmm... My shoulders suck. That's why I thought to put them first so I could get the best workout on them while the triceps were still fresh. Once I blow out the trikes, the shoulders will get less focus. Working from the military press, progressively down to the decline bench puts the whole range sequentially with the weakest(shoulders) first and strongest, decline bench) last. Besides, that puts the weight over my head while I have the most control over it. LOL.

GREAT suggestion abut putting abs in between sets. I can add sit ups to the crunches by doubling up on the sets. Thanks!

You still have to remember which muscles are biggest and which are smallest. If you want to get in shape, lose weight, tone up, whatever you want to call it, it's about calorie expenditure. Your large muscle groups burn the most and your smaller ones burn less. So concentrating your efforts on the larger groups (that move the most weight and use the most secondary muscle groups) will burn more calories. An over head press works the front delt and some tricep. That's nothing compared to a flat bench dumbbell press that works your pecs, front delt, and tricep. That's more bang for buck thus getting you results faster. Besides, shoulder stability is very important in training the chest.

It's actually two 2 day splits for a 4 day week. I work Friday-Sunday so I'll work out Monday/Tuesday, rest Wednesday then workout Thursday/Friday and rest (well work 16 hour days) Saturday/Sunday. I considered a 4 day split but decided that in the beginning, with less endurance and strength, I'd run a shorter (per body part) program and then when I need to switch programs(6 weeks I think is the recommendation), I'll go to a 4 day split for the next cycle.

Initially, I will be considering a 2 mile walk as my cardio with a second 2 mile walk in the evening. As I progress I will be going to the same distance in the morning but as intervals with the same 2 mile evening walk. When I started out last time my intervals were 15 seconds jog, 1 minute 45 seconds walk and after a couple of weeks I advance to 30 seconds jog with 90 seconds walk and at best I was doing 60 jog, 60 walk. But I was also doing the trail by my house which is 4 miles and rough terrain. I have a German Shepherd who will love the extra time outdoors. So, if I can, I will get back to the trail every day. But that means I MUST get my dead ass up and workout from 6-7 and hit the road by 7:15 or it will get too hot.

Interval training like that will burn more calories than steady state cardio so keep doing it. All you need if you are doing it effectively is about 20 minutes. Now with all that, if your nutrition sucks then none of this means anything. You can't out exercise a poor diet.

Well, I spent the better part of 50 years committing suicide by fork. So, I wasn't too surprised when I had the heart attack last year. Kinda pissed me off though. I've ridden the rollercoaster a time or two between my all time high of 260 and my all time adult low of 180 and was at 23 when I had the heart attack. I got back down to 195 before slacking again and am now at 220. Yeah, I know. Dammit. This is it(never said THAT before. LOL), however. I've been half assing and making excuses long enough. I KNOW I can lose weight and I KNOW I can get in shape...hell I've done it. So. If I have to put tuna on the endangered species list and take 5 showers a day I WILL sweat the fat guy out of my clothes.
I am right there with you except for the heart attack. I have lost 24 pounds this year but have been plateaued for the last 6 weeks. Need to get the needle on the scale moving again. 35-40 lbs more to go.

Back
Top Bottom