• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tips for getting into competitive shooting on a college student budget?

Hussar

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
39   0
Reaction score
As of recently I have gotten bored just blasting the same paper at the range every time I go shot so I have been looking into getting into some kind of competitive shooting. The trouble is that my budget is sorta limited. Ideally I'd like to do something that involves some movement but I don't have the resources 3gun or anything fancy but is there a way to get into IDPA/USPSA cheaply?

I have a .45 pistol, 12g shotgun, and an ar15. Also have access to a 22 and looking to pick up a 9mm soon.

Thank you.

Look into IDPA. It's centered around typical every day carry weapons with several different classes of weapon. You can probably use your 45 with a few extra mags and a CC holster. You'll be good to go.

USPSA Single Stack is a relatively inexpensive class to get into. Sturdy belt, good kydex holster, 5 mag pouches, a 1911 and a bunch of mags. Of course, ammo and training. I made GM in SS and used the same rig from Day 1 until I quit shooting.

USPSA Production Class is pretty much the same. Buy whatever 9mm non-single action semi-auto you want and the same type rig as I recommended for SS.

My suggestion: Patience. You should just wait. Focus on your schooling and come to the realization that you can do all those things after you've completed your studies. Hillary didn't win, so none of the cool toys are going any where. Save your money and enjoy the college experience.

Could look into Steel Match shooting. Can shoot it with a 22 for cost savings. You only shoot 50-100 rds, so that's $5-8 worth of ammo. This will allow you to work on your transitions target to target and dealing with a timer. After shooting this type of match for a while, allowing you to save up more money, then you can move into IDPA/USPSA matches. As for 3 gun, I would wait until you are finished with school, because that stuff ain't cheap!

USPSA or action pistol is cheap to shoot usually a $20-25 dollar entry fee you will need 100-150 rounds of ammo(less depending on class you shoot) a sturdy belt mag carriers and a holster with good retention and at least 6 mags you can do it with probably 4 and get away with it but 6 is the least I would bring.

Hell you have all you need for 3-gun I run probably the cheapest rig for 3-gun money can buy as far as mag carriers and weapons are concerned. I have maybe $60 bucks in my 3-gun rig(not counting guns but they are cheap guns compared to what everyone else brings). And I do very well in my division. The only real difference in cost is more ammo.

My suggestion: Patience. You should just wait. Focus on your schooling and come to the realization that you can do all those things after you've completed your studies. Hillary didn't win, so none of the cool toys are going any where. Save your money and enjoy the college experience.
This

As a recent college graduate, and I did shoot in college somewhat competitively, until I get too busy with working multiple jobs, I say to practice now, and then worry about getting into it all later. Low round count, high dry fire practice sessions will increase your muscle memory and discipline in accuracy. Go shoot competitive on occasion, such as IDPA or bowling pins or US Arms for rifles. That gives you a taste of the thrill of competition, and puts you in a more stressful environment to see the culmination of your training. Then after you graduate, and get settled into a job, get some cash, and then you can jump in head first into competitive shooting.

I'm still waiting on the job settling. But I'd like to get rolling into the 3 gun here soon. Or at least take some courses this summer.

Uspsa production can be very inexpensive to shoot. You'll need the basic Glock 34,mags, and a rig. And then you can do like World champion Dave sevigney and pretty much run a stock gun and stock factory ammo. Plus if you learn to shoot a glock properly you should be able to shoot anything

Back
Top Bottom