• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tisas 1911 A1 sight replacement

IIRC, there are three basic tenon widths. The old GI 0.056", newer version .125" from Colt and I believe that Springfield is the oddball and they use .085". Staking the tenon on the inside of the slide actually requires peening it to keep it in the slot and not protrude so much it interferes with the barrel bushing. There are a lot of jury-rigged tools out there that are difficult to use that will do it, but the very best I've seen is the Trijicon.....but it's damned pricey. Mine cost around $300 when I got it years ago.
I don't think it was a trijicon but I've seen some of those dovetail site removal tools for a hundred bucks or less. However, if you're only going to work on one single 1911 it doesn't make sense to invest into a tool since I'm pretty sure just removal of the rear sight wouldn't cost that much.

I don't think it was a trijicon but I've seen some of those dovetail site removal tools for a hundred bucks or less. However, if you're only going to work on one single 1911 it doesn't make sense to invest into a tool since I'm pretty sure just removal of the rear sight wouldn't cost that much.
I agree. But at one time I had enough 1911s where I wanted to add night sights and the like and it made the investment worthwhile. Pop the tool and tenon sight on, tighten and then run the three tools down the front side (shearer, peener and finisher)....

Back
Top Bottom