• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

To sbr or not to sbr

carlton wright

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
333   0
Reaction score
Just got a sweet Rock river pistol and I am thinking of buying the side folding stock rock river makes for it it become a sbr. Not sure but i don't think standered braces fit on this due to the tube .there is a 200.dollar fee and I think the stock is around 150. But if I decided to sell it later I can just remove the stock and sell it as a pistol ? But once a rifle always a rifle right ? Wrong I don't know I really like the gun but it might get traded off .any thoughts is buying a tax stamp.worth it for an SBR and what's the best deal on a trust then i have to pay the 200 on top of what ever the trust cost right?
This is the gun .the tri rail .. sweet right ?
20170720_115015.jpg

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=441

i'd do some heavy searching first. i would be surprised if nobody made an adapter to use a buffer tube and brace

H heavyd for the trust, $99
Stamp is $200 and a long wait time.
If it starts as a pistol, then you make it a rifle, you can make it back a pistol.
If you SBR it then you would have to take it off the NFA registry in order to sell it as a pistol or sell it as an NFA item.

Bottom line if you dont think you will keep it, then dont bother.

Im not a lawyer but im sure someone smarter than me will show up to correct any of my mistakes

If you SBR it, it can be taken off of the registry, but you have to take steps to do that...you can't simply put it back to pistol configuration.

I've gone the sbr route, and given the atf clarification on the braces, and quality of many braces out there, I will never sbr another gun. Time, money, and hassle to cross state lines. It's just not worth it unless you can't find an appropriate brace, or unless you want to sbr something that doesn't come in pistol configuration.

I've got 3 form 1 SBRs pending time now. No biggie. Couple hundred bucks, CVS passport pics, free fingerprint cards from LEO and a little patience. It's nice to collapse all the way to carry and store and pull out for your LEngth of pull, which may change if you shoot with armor sometime or without, or carry it in your vehicle. It's never been a HUGE deal to me to do the process.

If you SBR it, it can be taken off of the registry, but you have to take steps to do that...you can't simply put it back to pistol configuration.

Incorrect. I can sell any one of my SBRs tonight, no paperwork needed. Just can't sell them as SBRs. I can put 16" barrels on them, or revert them back to pistols. As long as it is not in NFA format it is not a NFA weapon.

The regs state that the NFA branch requests you notify them you have removed it from NFA format. There is no requirement and no form to fill out. You simply send them a letter saying you have removed item xyz from NFA status a d to please remove it from the registry. You will not get any response.

Incorrect. I can sell any one of my SBRs tonight, no paperwork needed. Just can't sell them as SBRs. I can put 16" barrels on them, or revert them back to pistols. As long as it is not in NFA format it is not a NFA weapon.

The regs state that the NFA branch requests you notify them you have removed it from NFA format. There is no requirement and no form to fill out. You simply send them a letter saying you have removed item xyz from NFA status a d to please remove it from the registry. You will not get any response.
Thanks! Learn sumthin' new everyday.

Back
Top Bottom