• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

To warm? Or not to warm?

Car "warming" - bad?

• Total voters
I guess at some point does oil dilution become a moot point since most people are using synthetic/synthetic blends and changing every 5k?
Probably not, it still can condensate. But most people don't understand that the condensation will evaporate back out, and makes little difference.

Back in the days of carburetors when manual mixture enrichment, (choke), was the name of the game excessive gas could wash the oil film on the cylinders walls a bit and increase wear. Some of those cars couldn't rally be driven without a bit of warm up though.

Modern cars; get in and drive, once the rpm's drop to 1000 or less is my method. I just on't beat on it until it's driven a few miles. I remember I had a Lancia once that hand an oil temperature gauge, it can take a while to get to operating temp.

Same with piston engined light aircraft, have to wait for the oil temp to get in the green before using much power.

30 seconds or when RPM's start to drop.

My 4Runner is good after about 30 seconds (5w20, so pretty fluid at low temps.)
My Land Cruiser needs to warm up. I wait until the needle begins to rise. However, there is a gizmo that keeps the transmission in 2nd until the engine comes to operating temp, so if I hit the road too soon, I'm driving either at 40mph, or at 55 at 3,500 rpms until the engine warms, so it's easier to give it a few minutes, and play with the radio or something.

Get in and go. But l drive a company truck.
Excessive idling is certainly not good, but per one of the Chevy techs at Autonation, fleet vehicles see hours upon hours of idle time and idling for 1 hour does about as much wear to an engine as 20 to 30 miles of driving.

I can drive 40 miles in 30 minutes. So it's not necessarily more ware and tare. It's just ware and tare that can't be monitored or accounted for.

with todays thinner oils and additive packages...not as much warm up time needed...but the rules of racing its a different animal..oil has to be at temp for proper function and flow of lubricant to all area of the motor.. so it depends on your equipment..new modern cars..not as much warm up ..older cars..carburated cars and trucks...big rigs, diesels, need more time to warm up.

Back
Top Bottom