• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Todd Gurley has been suspended

UGA is the only one that loses out in this. No NFL team is going to care about this and it won't affect his draft status/future compensation. If he did it, sure it's a violation of a dumb rule and they should punish him accordingly.

Word....hell A.J. Green was charged with the same thing...lol
He'll go in the top 10 no doubt.

UGA is the only one that loses out in this. No NFL team is going to care about this and it won't affect his draft status/future compensation. If he did it, sure it's a violation of a dumb rule and they should punish him accordingly.
You don't think if he had a career year and he won the Heisman his stock wouldn't have been higher? Seriously? Yes UGA will pay the most but he is an abject idiot for doing it (IF he did).

You don't think if he had a career year and he won the Heisman his stock wouldn't have been higher? Seriously? Yes UGA will pay the most but he is an abject idiot for doing it (IF he did).

I seriously don't think the Heisman would matter one bit. He already has an impressive enough resume'. If he happened to do it, why is he an idiot? I've heard this argument, but what good is money he'll get paid in the next year if he needs it now? I don't pretend to know his finances but it's easy for us to think that all college athletes have it made. The guy sure doesn't come from money.

I seriously don't think the Heisman would matter one bit. He already has an impressive enough resume'. If he happened to do it, why is he an idiot? I've heard this argument, but what good is money he'll get paid in the next year if he needs it now? I don't pretend to know his finances but it's easy for us to think that all college athletes have it made. The guy sure doesn't come from money.
He's on a full scholarship with room and board. If he's THAT desperate for a few hundred bucks something else is wrong... WAY wrong.

He's on a full scholarship with room and board. If he's THAT desperate for a few hundred bucks something else is wrong... WAY wrong.

How is a college athlete supposed to pay for every other expense in their life? I've found a few old articles that said athletes could work but not earn more than $2k in a year and a stipend proposal of $2k a year back in 2011 that I'm not sure was enacted. This is leading more to a discussion of "should college athletes be paid", but I think you're oversimplifying 'room and board' as being everything someone needs to live. A rule is a rule, I get that, but saying something is 'way wrong' if a guy needs money is oversimplifying things.

How is a college athlete supposed to pay for every other expense in their life? I've found a few old articles that said athletes could work but not earn more than $2k in a year and a stipend proposal of $2k a year back in 2011 that I'm not sure was enacted. This is leading more to a discussion of "should college athletes be paid", but I think you're oversimplifying 'room and board' as being everything someone needs to live. A rule is a rule, I get that, but saying something is 'way wrong' if a guy needs money is oversimplifying things.
No, I don't know a single college student that doesn't think they "need money". I worked three jobs at one point while in school and it sure wasn't because I did NOT 'need' money. And oh yeah, I sure wasn't getting a full ride. If he did THAT, knowing the rules and the risk for that little money, SOMETHING is wrong.... I'll leave the speculation to others.
BTW... I'm not convinced he did ANYTHING wrong or against the rules.

There is always student loans, that can also cover living expenses as well. I'd be ok with paying the players, as long as they had to pay for all of their school cost. The problem is that some of the players have no skin in the game. They are only using college for a stepping stone to the Pro's, not a higher education as intended.

There is always student loans, that can also cover living expenses as well. I'd be ok with paying the players, as long as they had to pay for all of their school cost. The problem is that some of the players have no skin in the game. They are only using college for a stepping stone to the Pro's, not a higher education as intended.

It will happen eventually....I just wonder if it will be a flat rate or pay by performance.

Back
Top Bottom